cut quality question.

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Jeff M
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

cut quality question.

Post by Jeff M »

A general cut quality question. I like to do mostly metal art work on my machine. What thickness do people prefer to use for metal art ? 10, 12, 14, 16 gauge and why.

Thanks
Jeff M
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cut quality question.

Post by JEd »

I use 90% 14 gauge. It's thin enough to be cheap and thick enough to not feel cheap. Really the first time I bought metal they had drops of 14 gauge and I've stuck with it. I've used 18 gauge when I want something two layers that's going to hang on a wall or something where weight matters.
MetalTorcher
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by MetalTorcher »

What JEd said.
Jason Lyon
PlasmaCAM DHC2
Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
Duramax mini torch with Snap n Cut
Everlast PowerMTS 251si
Torturing metal since 2014
S4metaoworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by S4metaoworks »

I use 10 g just because I can put more detail into the my pieces. The metal holds and doesn't flex or burn edges away on fine cuts.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

I use steel, stainless steel, aluminum, brass and copper from 24 GA to 1/2 inch...just depends on the project...Mostly use 14 ga CR steel for custom wall hangings......
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”