need help Jim Colt!!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
stevff
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

need help Jim Colt!!

Post by stevff »

I have a plasmacam with hypertherm 1250 try to cut some designs on 14 ga mild cold roll steel and am getting lot of drose on bottom and some splatter on top on the curvs but not on the straight cuts. What soud the setting be for 14 ga. Using 40 amp fine cut com. Also have some bevel on most cuts.
ipm?
torch hight?
arc voltage shift?
psi?
amp setting on torch?
Any other setting that might be off? taking hours to try and clean up one design. I don't know what to do. The 16 ga material cut looks ok but 14 ga is pretty bad
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: need help Jim Colt!!

Post by plain ol Bill »

I know Jim will jump in here too but I just happened to have my 1250 book next to me. For 14 ga. @40amps' 79 arc volts,135 IPM travel speed using fine cuts in good condition should give you nice cuts. Pierce at .160 cut at .08.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
stevff
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by stevff »

Thanks plain ol Bill
Do you know what the psi should be set at. I think we are using about 80
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The inlet pressure on the 1250 needs to stay above 90 psi (while air is flowing at the torch, measured right at the inlet...not at the compressor) and below 125 psi. The cut air pressure needs to be set with the amperage knob fully counterclockwise (air will flow at the torch) then adjust the regulator so the green LED on the front panel is satisfied. Make sure the mode switch is in the cut mode, not the gouging or continuous pilot modes.

The fact that you are getting no dross on the straight sections and dross on the corners indicates that the speed is good on straights and running too slow on corners and fine details. You can increase corner speeds and acceleration (a little at a time) until dross minimizes, this is done in the settings in the PlasmaCam software (I don't know what version you have) Make sure you are setting everything to the specs on the machine cutting charts in your Hypertherm operators manual. use the consumables recommended for machine cutting....even if you have a hand torch mounted on your PlasmaCam.

Dross is caused by cutting too slow. It is also affected by having the torch too high of the plate.
Jim Colt

stevff wrote:Thanks plain ol Bill
Do you know what the psi should be set at. I think we are using about 80

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”