powermax 85

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

powermax 85

Post by stray cat »

can some one tell why when i use i power max 85 cutting 12ga with fincut 45amps at 120 ipm it cuts like crap and wont cut all the way through and leaves a ton of dross? But than when i cut at 38 amps at 96ipm i can't ask for any better cut and there is no dross? Than i tried standard 45amp at 120ipm it left some dross but it came off pretty easy. Anybody got any ideas?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: powermax 85

Post by jimcolt »

I'm guessing you are using the Fine Cut consumables? If you are running at book specs and it does not cut all the way through.....it almost always will be incorrect height. The FineCut parts need to stay very very close to the physical cut height listed in the cut charts.

Jim Colt

stray cat wrote:can some one tell why when i use i power max 85 cutting 12ga with fincut 45amps at 120 ipm it cuts like crap and wont cut all the way through and leaves a ton of dross? But than when i cut at 38 amps at 96ipm i can't ask for any better cut and there is no dross? Than i tried standard 45amp at 120ipm it left some dross but it came off pretty easy. Anybody got any ideas?
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

Thanks For the help jim but i dont think that is the problem. I can cut 2 of the same files with the same setting and one will cut out fair and the other one won't cut out at all. The torch hisses and that's when it cuts like crap. Hypertherm told my sales rep to buy the unit back from rather than figure it out.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm would not have told the sales rep to buy the unit back without figuring the problem out. I am with Hypertherm (36 years) and I am trying to help you figure it out! If you are interested in solving the issue I am here to help, as is our entire company.

If you can provide me some details on the machine you have the torch mounted on, then we can systematically trouble shoot it and I guarantee we will solve your problem. Details such as: Machine type (brand and model, or if homebuilt), drives and electronics )if homebuilt), software for CAD and CAM, do you have torch height control? The part numbers of the consumables being used (include the shield).

I have been using a Powermax85 on my home cnc machine for 2-1/2 years. I use Fine Cut consumables fairly often....and I use them at book specs. If I incorrectly set the height control....even slightly, the cut will periodically not go all the way through the material. FineCut consumables are designed for squarer, cleaner cuts on materials thinner than 10 gauge....and are very "touchy" if the height is not controlled accurately, if the speed is incorrect, if the air flow/pressure is off a bit.

Again, be happy to help....just need some cooperation to do so!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

stray cat wrote:Thanks For the help jim but i dont think that is the problem. I can cut 2 of the same files with the same setting and one will cut out fair and the other one won't cut out at all. The torch hisses and that's when it cuts like crap. Hypertherm told my sales rep to buy the unit back from rather than figure it out.
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

Jim

I will send you the dxf file in the morning, It 2'x4' tho so not sure if you want to cut it or not. My sales rep brought me a thermal A120 on tuesday and told me to put it on my table. Not sure what's going on with my powermax. I did see when they were changing it that the groud wire on the power plug was lose not sure how that would play into it not cutting through the steel. But i did play with it before they took it off the table and if i set it to gouge it cuts dam good, why would less air psi make it cut better?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That may explain why Hypertherm could not cut your sample.....the machines they use in the demo lab are set up for relatively small samples, generally under about 12" square. They can occasionally make exceptions and farm out the sample to a machine in one of our engineering labs. I'll look at your file and I may cut it on my home machine.

Plasma torches need the correct air pressure. There are two pressures on every air plasma cutter 1. the inlet pressure, which on a Powermax65 or 85 must be anywhere between 90 and 135 psi when air is flowing at the torch, and 2. The cut pressure. With the Powermax65 and 85 the cut pressure is best set in Auto, this setting auto adjusts for the particular nozzle amperage, as well as the length of the torch leads.....and also adjusts pressure as the consumables wear. The correct cut pressure controls arc energy density, which is what controls cut quality.

Look forward to seeing your cut file.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

stray cat wrote:Jim

I will send you the dxf file in the morning, It 2'x4' tho so not sure if you want to cut it or not. My sales rep brought me a thermal A120 on tuesday and told me to put it on my table. Not sure what's going on with my powermax. I did see when they were changing it that the groud wire on the power plug was lose not sure how that would play into it not cutting through the steel. But i did play with it before they took it off the table and if i set it to gouge it cuts dam good, why would less air psi make it cut better?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here is Stray Cats cut file in a video....being cut from 12 gauge steel at book specs with FineCut consumables, Powermax65. This part is drawn to be cut 48 inches wide, but I scaled it down to 24" to fit it on my new GoTorch table....this actually is the first real part cut on this new machine....so it was a good test. This machine has integrated fume control filtration....so no smoke! There is some dross on the bottom in the areas where the machine had to slow for fine details.....likely this would be less of an issue if it was cut full size. This machine has a full function arc voltage feedback height control that has accurate pierce height and very accurately maintains cut height throughout the part. I would not attempt cutting a complex piece like this without a good height control....or with a machine with sluggish acceleration. Here is the video link (sorry for the Iphone quality) and also a picture of the front and back as cut.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jDmZog_ ... load_owner

Jim Colt
lingbeek front.jpg
lingbeek front.jpg (138.42 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
lingbeek front.jpg
lingbeek front.jpg (138.42 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
lingbeek rear.jpg
lingbeek rear.jpg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
lingbeek rear.jpg
lingbeek rear.jpg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
skiwithnoskis
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by skiwithnoskis »

jimcolt wrote:Here is Stray Cats cut file in a video....being cut from 12 gauge steel at book specs with FineCut consumables, Powermax65. This part is drawn to be cut 48 inches wide, but I scaled it down to 24" to fit it on my new GoTorch table....this actually is the first real part cut on this new machine....so it was a good test. This machine has integrated fume control filtration....so no smoke! There is some dross on the bottom in the areas where the machine had to slow for fine details.....likely this would be less of an issue if it was cut full size. This machine has a full function arc voltage feedback height control that has accurate pierce height and very accurately maintains cut height throughout the part. I would not attempt cutting a complex piece like this without a good height control....or with a machine with sluggish acceleration. Here is the video link (sorry for the Iphone quality) and also a picture of the front and back as cut.

Jim Colt
lingbeek front.jpg
lingbeek rear.jpg
Jim, is the fume control factory or home built? I would love that on my pcam.

Thanks
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

Jim,

Wish mine looked that good, I did put it back on the table today and played with air psi setting but didn't cut a lot but will find out when i cut some more.

Thanks Greg
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Greg,

The air pressure was in automatic mode for this cut, inlet pressure varied from 90 psi to 120 psi as the compressor cycled, the mode switch was in the cut position. 45 amps, I forgot the speed....but it is exactly as listed in the operators manual.

From my experience with the Fine Cut consumables...cut height is extremely critical, more so than with the shielded consumables. I have a Torchmate with height control....but I would not cut this part on it as it tends to dive in areas of intricate detail. This is a PlasmaCam with very nice height control , no diving, no collisions and it stays within about .005" of the desired height.

The fume control is my design, uses a water tray prefilter to trap the majority of fume particles then two Torit weld fume filters to remove the finer particles. These filters are expensive ($90 each) but can be cleaned and reused. There is a 1200 cfm fan on the rear of the table that pulls the air through the filters. For high production use this system would require filter cleaning a few times daily. For trade shows and occasional use it works very well. This is a small 2' x 2' cutting table.

Jim Colt

stray cat wrote:Jim,

Wish mine looked that good, I did put it back on the table today and played with air psi setting but didn't cut a lot but will find out when i cut some more.

Thanks Greg
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Jim, from the reflection we can almost put a face with the name!! :lol:
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Jim.jpg
Jim.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Jim.jpg
Jim.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
I saw that! Here is a better picture. I occasionally get cleaned up...this was the day I walked my daughter down the aisle...
Largemouthlou wrote:Jim, from the reflection we can almost put a face with the name!! :lol:
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

i was thinking the same thing when i watched it.
Largemouthlou wrote:Jim, from the reflection we can almost put a face with the name!! :lol:
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Awesome pic!! :D Thanks again for all your help :D
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”