ladybug wall hanging

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

ladybug wall hanging

Post by Scratch »

Made this for my niece's 1st birthday this weekend. Her mom and dad call her "bug" all the time, and they're going with a ladybug theme in her bedroom. My wife loves it so much I'm probably gonna have to make another one for her, except for her... maybe Instead of "ladybugs" I'll use "stinkbugs"...

Anyways, the vine is made from 3/8" steel and is about 24" long. The leaves are 16G and everything else is 14G. I used Vista green patina, hammered black and red, and satin pink for the flowers.

I've always had an issue with the "how-do-I-assemble-a-multi-color-piece-without-having-to-mask-out-for-painting" problem...

What I did was paint everything separately, then used rare earth magnets to hold everything together! I've been using this solution for some of the last couple multi-color pieces I've done and it seems to be working well. You have to shake it pretty hard for the parts to come off. I figure if we get that strong of an earthquake here in Wisconsin.... we got bigger problems than that....

Also, to get the white to show through on the ladybugs, I used white tag board, double sided taped to the back. You'd never know it was tag board.
ladybugs1.jpg
ladybugs1.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
ladybugs1.jpg
ladybugs1.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
ladybugs2.jpg
ladybugs2.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
ladybugs2.jpg
ladybugs2.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ladybug wall hanging

Post by trucks1948 »

Thats really nice.Where are you buying your magnets?Jim
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I get them at Applied Magnets, https://www.magnet4less.com/ I get the 3/8" X 1/16" size, they're like .09 each or something like that.
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Stinkbugs! HA HA HA! Nice work Scratch, and despite your manly demeanor, I can tell you are very much in touch with your feminine side. ;)

Love it, very nice

April
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

parrotlady wrote:Stinkbugs! HA HA HA! Nice work Scratch, and despite your manly demeanor, I can tell you are very much in touch with your feminine side. ;)
Yes.... yes I am. My welding apron is pink with white daisies on it. It's really rather beautiful and sets off my blue eyes.
cambo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cambo »

Just gotta say your work is f#*king awesome(don't want to offend anyone),very inspirational.Our work is only limited by our imagination and there doesn't seem to be to many limits coming out of Wisconsin.Thanks for sharing.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”