Cut speed concerns

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
saltydog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Cut speed concerns

Post by saltydog »

Using a CNC Tracker table and Thermal Dynamics 2500 (not sure on the model #??) Cutting small to average size signs from 14 ga with a 40 amp tip. If we go by the TD book it calls for 103 - 105 amps and approx 120 ipm (going by memory). At that speed it leave BIG TIME dross on the back, in order to get the best cut and less dross we need to run at approx 50% speed of the book????????????? this seems to put alot more heat into the material and find even 14 ga material is warping during the cut. We also seem to be going thru consumables like crazy? I see posts on here about cut speeds at 140, 180...etc..... no way I could cut at that speed, OR am I missing something?
blueled
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Cut speed concerns

Post by blueled »

Just shooting from the hip:
The torch itself is a SL100? You say you are going through consumables, when you change the consumables, what are you changing? Just the nozzle or ? What is your input air pressure ? Any kinks or obstructions in the hose ? How is your air quality? Dirty air will kill consumables in a heart beat.
How old is the torch body? Have you measured its' resistance ?
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

no filter and moister will really kill them
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
Team Tracker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Team Tracker »

Hey saltydog

Typically reducing cut speed will increase dross formation however you are seeing the opposite. Some good comments have already been left here for you however I would like to speak with you to confirm your setup and help you get to the bottom of your dross issue quickly. If you could call me from the Tracker system we can check a few things out and find out what's going on. Call me toll free at 1-800-590-7804 ext 2 when you have a chance.
1-800-590-7804
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You need to follow the specs in the manual....make sure all of the right consumables are in the torch. 40 amps will cut 14 ga well if specs are followed. You say the book calls for 103-105 amps......I'm sure you mean volts. (amperage is the cutting power, and it must be set at the book specs for the consumables you are using, in this case 40 amp consumables, so no more than 40 amps is the setting. If your machine has an arc voltage height control....then the voltage listing in the cut chart is a starting voltage to get the torch to material distance correct. The physical cut height is more important than the voltage....so adjust the voltage to achieve the physical cut height listed in the chart. Lower voltage will mean the torch is closer, higher voltage = further away.

When you get dross it is caused by these things:

-Too much power for the material thickness.
-wrong consumables
-Cut speed too slow, increase speed until dross minimizes...maybe 10 ipm at a time. On 14 gauge at 40 amps you probably will see this occur at 175 to 225 ipm.
-dross is also caused by the torch to work distance being too high.

I would offer more help, but my experience is with the Hypertherm torches, not so much with Thermal Dynamics.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

saltydog wrote:Using a CNC Tracker table and Thermal Dynamics 2500 (not sure on the model #??) Cutting small to average size signs from 14 ga with a 40 amp tip. If we go by the TD book it calls for 103 - 105 amps and approx 120 ipm (going by memory). At that speed it leave BIG TIME dross on the back, in order to get the best cut and less dross we need to run at approx 50% speed of the book????????????? this seems to put alot more heat into the material and find even 14 ga material is warping during the cut. We also seem to be going thru consumables like crazy? I see posts on here about cut speeds at 140, 180...etc..... no way I could cut at that speed, OR am I missing something?
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by timberfab »

Also make sure you have an A series manual. some LWS's sell the cutmaster with a machine torch instead of the A series. the cut charts are different.
saltydog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by saltydog »

thanks to all the responses... as it turns out the issues were with the machine,,,,Gantry in particular... Thanks to Justin's tune-up it works AWESOME.... i can now use sigmanest without worrying about screwing up a whole sheet. It did however take too long to get it figured out and fixed. We can now cut by the book with great results

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”