Pierce Points

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Oggjay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Pierce Points

Post by Oggjay »

I have a Hypertherm PM45 and Plasmacam table.. When cutting my pierce points are twice as wide as my cut paths.
How do I fix this. I am cutting 18g sheet. My pierce time delay is at 0.1 If I set it any lower I don't get good pierce thru's. All new consumables. Any and all help is appreciated.

Jay
PlasmaCam DHC2 DesignEdge
PowerMax 45
Hobart Ironman 210
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Pierce Points

Post by elvenhome21 »

I use 18 ga for a lot for my stuff. I run 0 delay and .12 pierce height. On lines that you cant use a lead in I dont get to bad of a dot at the pierce, maybe .07-.08 dia dot. Is your nozzle worn out?
Bonzi Metalworks
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

What system are you using.

If your system uses Mach then I've read that Mach cannot pause less than a certain time, something like 0.4 of a second, so even if your delay is set to 0.1 the torch will still sit there piercing for a longer period.

Try a delay of zero and if it still pierces fine then your hole size may be more acceptable.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You need to use "lead ins" on your part programs that start the torch in scrap material (as an example....if cutting a 3/8" diameter bolt hole, the lead in should be about .150" long and start in the center....which is scrap). It is absolutely normal for the pierce point to be larger than the cut line....and there is nothing you can do minimize it.

The PlasmaCam software makes it very easy to control your lead in length as well as location.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Oggjay wrote:I have a Hypertherm PM45 and Plasmacam table.. When cutting my pierce points are twice as wide as my cut paths.
How do I fix this. I am cutting 18g sheet. My pierce time delay is at 0.1 If I set it any lower I don't get good pierce thru's. All new consumables. Any and all help is appreciated.

Jay
Oggjay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Oggjay »

jimcolt wrote:You need to use "lead ins" on your part programs that start the torch in scrap material (as an example....if cutting a 3/8" diameter bolt hole, the lead in should be about .150" long and start in the center....which is scrap). It is absolutely normal for the pierce point to be larger than the cut line....and there is nothing you can do minimize it.

The PlasmaCam software makes it very easy to control your lead in length as well as location.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Thanks Jim... I had the "lead ins" set at 0.2 which works.. It was just the lines . But if that's normal I will just find a way to work around them.. Also in my tight corners I am getting a little extra blow thru.. Is that normal?.. Also my Cutting signal is set at Min-3 and Max-12 does that sound about right.. Sorry for all the questions.. Still in my learning curve and being able to talk with others with such vast knowledge is awesome.. Thanks again..
PlasmaCam DHC2 DesignEdge
PowerMax 45
Hobart Ironman 210

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”