cut quality of my hypertherm 45 on Plasmacam DHC2

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

cut quality of my hypertherm 45 on Plasmacam DHC2

Post by james.davis »

I can't seem to get my machine dialed in when I use the settings in my book to cut 16g mild steel the cuts are wavy.I've tried
slowing the corner speed down and I've replaced the loader springs.The lack of quallty in the cuts really shows up a lot when cutting letters out and around tight corners, if I slow the machine way down to about 200ipm the quality of cuts are better but then I'm dealing with a lot of dross.I had a 600 hypertherm on my Plasmacam DHC2 for years(with good qualiy cuts) and just changed over to a 45 .I haven't changed the belts yet.Any help would be much appreciated.
Jim
PS I'm using a machine torch and a "snap and cut" holder with my 45.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: cut quality of my hypertherm 45 on Plasmacam DHC2

Post by abmagrum »

i am a newbie , but did you check youre air pressure? and maybe lower the volts some.

maybe the filter is a little clogged . I like 100-130 psi on the back of the machine .

I found the higher the psi the cleaner the cut. and the faster you can run.

just my observation so far
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

Thanks but I' m running a combined 2 tanks 140 gals. with an air dryer an filter set up at 125psi .I had everything cutting alright with my 600 it's just when I changed over to the 45 that everything went south.I'm pretty sure that something just needs to be set diff.just don't know what that something is :)
Thanks,
Jim
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Could it be torch height to high? or volts to high? that's all I got . sorry
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

For finer cuts at lower speeds you can use the 30 amp consumables (there are cut charts in your Powermax45 operators manual). Since they are unshielded you will lose the ohmic contact functionality, but will get better edge quality and narrower kerf at lower speeds. Likely it is the PlasmaCam machine having issues cornering at the higher speeds required. I would also check the bearing way surfaces and ensure your machine has smooth motion. If you hold on to the torch while running thorugh a part program you will feel roughness in the motion, anything you feel will show in the cut.

Jim Colt
30ampcut chart.png
30amp consumables.png
30amp consumables.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
30amp consumables.png
30amp consumables.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”