Powermax cutting at lower amps to reduce speed?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Powermax cutting at lower amps to reduce speed?

Post by HammerDownJustin »

My machine doesn't really like running at 350 ipm...I have a hypertherm 65...wondering if anyone has had good results maybe turning down to about 20 or 25 amps and reducing the speed so the machine doesn't haft to run so fast
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: cutting at lower amps to reduce speed?

Post by I Lean »

I do that with my PM45--45A consumables running around 30A for 14ga or 16ga steel. I get good quality at 150 IPM or less. It does have some dross on the bottom compared to running faster, but it's easy enough to clean off with a wire wheel. It's worth it to me for the nicer cut quality....my table doesn't like running faster either.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Thank you for the reply...I'm thinking I will set it at 24 amps with a 45 amp shielded and try cutting at about 135 ipm...just for a start
Miller 251 Mig
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you send me a direct email I will send you a .pdf copy of the cut "Low Speed" cut charts for fine cut consumables that works with the Powermax65, 85, 105 and all Duramax torches from Hypertherm. This cut charts keeps the speeds under 150 ipm for those machines that get unstable at higher speeds. Please be sure to specify that you want the low speed cut charts in your email...I get a few hundred emails daily!

You also can reduce the amperage with the 45 amp shielded consumables. I have good luck with them down to 30 or 35 amps. Keep in mind that the physical cut height of .060" must be maintained for best cut quality....so if you have arc voltage height control you will have to adjust the arc voltage setting in order to keep the correct height. Experimenting with speed will ne necessary as well if you reduce amperage to the nozzle.

Lowering the amperage on a nozzle designed for 45 amps produces a lower energy density in the arc....a softer arc. It will be a bit difficult to get the speed just right in order to get best cut quality...but usually you can get close!

Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

HammerDownJustin wrote:My machine doesn't really like running at 350 ipm...I have a hypertherm 65...wondering if anyone has had good results maybe turning down to about 20 or 25 amps and reducing the speed so the machine doesn't haft to run so fast
Last edited by jimcolt on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

I have a Hypertherm M 65 and had cut problems with Fine Cut Consumables cutting 14 ga until I decreased speed 20% below the speed seen in the manual. I now cut 14 ga steel at 45 amps with a 176 ipm cut speed.

Before I lowered cut speed (from 220 down to 176) some of the cuts did not go all the way through

I kept amps and voltage per book standards (45 and 82 volts) just lowered cut speed

Glad to see that Hypertherm now has some official published speed options for fine cut consumables.
Some other have reported succees with the same problem by reducing speed by only 10%, and leaving amps and voltage at factory specs

Happy Sunday!
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Actually the high speeds listed in the manual produce the best quality...and I stand behind the fact that they are correct. The problem with many machines is that they get unstable at higher speeds....this causes issues with cut rougness as well as tolerances on fine features. I have two cnc machines in my home shop....one cuts perfectly at the book speeds, the other does not. Same plasma on each!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Marty wrote:I have a Hypertherm M 65 and had cut problems with Fine Cut Consumables cutting 14 ga until I decreased speed 20% below the speed seen in the manual. I now cut 14 ga steel at 45 amps with a 176 ipm cut speed.

Before I lowered cut speed (from 220 down to 176) some of the cuts did not go all the way through

I kept amps and voltage per book standards (45 and 82 volts) just lowered cut speed

Glad to see that Hypertherm now has some official published speed options for fine cut consumables.
Some other have reported succees with the same problem by reducing speed by only 10%, and leaving amps and voltage at factory specs

Happy Sunday!
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Thank you Jim and will send a email soon . And I agree all the cuts by hypertherm have been great for me...my machine just won't handle the high speed...it cuts half inch cleaner and better than 3/16"...lol
Miller 251 Mig
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Not sure if this email went through...I sent you one asking for the low speed cut chart if you could send it to me please...thx for great service oneoffgarage@yahoo.com
Miller 251 Mig

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”