Software / Consumable help

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Software / Consumable help

Post by weldor2005 »

Three problems lately I guess.

1) How worn is too worn with consumables? I think that it might be having something to do with my second problem or third problem for that matter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/techurphoto/8603039941/

2) I have been getting an error lately that has been an PITA, not allowing me to do anything. it is a "Material Sensing Fault" Sometimes I can take the consumables apart and put them right back in and it will make the next cuts, other times no such luck.

3) Seems lately even with the THC that I am having height control issues and it likes to drag on the steel. Thus causing crap to get into consumables and causing for what I think is problem one and two.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software / Consumable help

Post by jimcolt »

There is a section in your Powermax45 operators manual that tells you how to inspect your consumables. On the nozzle....if the orifice is out of round or notched....then expect poor cut quality with dross and varying angularity. When the electrode has a center pit that is worn to about 1/16"....it will start to misfire and cause dross and angularity as well. From your pic it looks like the nozzle may be junk.....hard to tell on the electrode.

If you DHC2 height control is dragging....then you have something set up wrong in the software. If you have the advance height control you should be using the ohmic sensing function (must use the ohmic sensing retaining cap and machine torch shield) and set it to "calibrate height before next cut"
.....this auto calibrates the torch height / arc voltage relationship and compensates for consumable wear, speed changes, etc...and will eliminate dragging.

Material sensing fault meeans that your your ohmic plate sensing may be malfuntioning due to:

-dirty, rusty or painted metal surface
-poor work ground connection
-piece of material lodged betwen the shield and the nozzle (inside the torch) (this is usually from piercing too close)
-dirty shield.....keep clean with scotchbrite abrasive pad.
-Poor ohmic wire connection to retaining cap.

jim Colt Hypertherm

weldor2005 wrote:Three problems lately I guess.

1) How worn is too worn with consumables? I think that it might be having something to do with my second problem or third problem for that matter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/techurphoto/8603039941/

2) I have been getting an error lately that has been an PITA, not allowing me to do anything. it is a "Material Sensing Fault" Sometimes I can take the consumables apart and put them right back in and it will make the next cuts, other times no such luck.

3) Seems lately even with the THC that I am having height control issues and it likes to drag on the steel. Thus causing crap to get into consumables and causing for what I think is problem one and two.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

Jim is dead on, as usual. Get a jewlers lupe or magnifying glass and inspect the nozzle. Any deformation of the outlet will change the plasma direction and impact cut quality. I don't like to waste nozzles, but if I suspect a bad one by visual inspection, I just trash it. The price of steel is much to high to risk f***ing up a job to save $7 on a nozzle. I include a nozzle and and electrode into every job bid to make sure I get good results.

As the nozzle and the electrode wear, the arc voltage seems to increase, which forces the THC to run the torch closer to the plate. I imagine you can have enough wear to drive the torch all the way down and cause a collision.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies, and more than likely the correct answers.

3 follow up questions:

1) Since there was dragging on the machine reflector, it has been scratched up a bit, however I am confident that the orfice is still round once cleaned. would this provide bad sensing or results?

2) only by visual inspection as of now, it seems that the ohmic sensing metal tab is in contact with the reflector. should it be?

3) this one may be for Jim, I have found some consumables from a supplier I believe to be from China claiming to have OEM Consumables on Ebay. They are well priced. My question would be, do you think them to be OEM, or quality, or run away fast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400310023762?ss ... 1497.l2649

This company also has electrodes and nozzles for a great price, but again, I am unsure of legitmacy and quality.

Thanks Again,

David
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

By reflector....I think you mean machine shield. scratches won't hurt it.....just inspect it periodically to ensure the bleed holes are not plugged and that the center orifice hole is perfectly round. Clean the lower side with a scotchbrite pad for best plate sensing.

The ohmic tab is supposed to create electrical contact through the shield to the plate...that is how it senses the surface.

There is at least one Chinese company that is producing knock off Hypertherm (and other brand) consumables. They are infringing on international patents as well as copyrights.....they are currently involved in a court case in regards to this...yet they keep selling these parts. They are not Hypertherm parts....all of Hypertherm's parts are designed and manufactured in NH, USA. These parts are out of tolerance, and can easily cause high temperature internal arcing inside your torch...the result is often a damaged torch body. If you see Hypertherm consumables at ridiculously low prices...suspect that they are aftermarket.

The cost of consumable usage when cutting 1/2" plate...using genuine consumables from Hypertherm.....is less than 1/2 of one cent per foot of cut. While the aftermarket consumables are less expensive to purchase.....they do not last as long and they risk damage to your torch body.....they likely will end up costing you more in the long run!

Best regards, Jim Colt

weldor2005 wrote:Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies, and more than likely the correct answers.

3 follow up questions:

1) Since there was dragging on the machine reflector, it has been scratched up a bit, however I am confident that the orfice is still round once cleaned. would this provide bad sensing or results?

2) only by visual inspection as of now, it seems that the ohmic sensing metal tab is in contact with the reflector. should it be?

3) this one may be for Jim, I have found some consumables from a supplier I believe to be from China claiming to have OEM Consumables on Ebay. They are well priced. My question would be, do you think them to be OEM, or quality, or run away fast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400310023762?ss ... 1497.l2649

This company also has electrodes and nozzles for a great price, but again, I am unsure of legitmacy and quality.

Thanks Again,

David
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply, All I needed to hear was that they are in deed knock offs. I will maintain getting Hyperthem only parts.

David
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Just a follow up for future readers.

I ended up taking a file and smoothing out the shield that was gouged up, and havent had that error sense then. much like the case would be as Jim mentioned using scotch bright.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”