Cutting Magnetic Plate

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Cutting Magnetic Plate

Post by Stout »

I have been trying to get good cuts on a sheet of AR500 that is also magnetic. I'm getting a quite a bit of bevel and the nozzles are not lasting very long. Does anyone know if the magnetism can cause issues with plasma cutting. I know it will cause issues with MIG and TIG welding.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting Magnetic Plate

Post by jimcolt »

Usually the magnetism on this type of plate is created by lifting the plate with magnets. Highly magnetic areas will deflect the arc (with some plasma processes, not all) and can cause short life.

Can you verify that there are areas of high magnetism? What plasma system and process level (power) are your currently using?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Stout

Post by Stout »

It was cut with a PM1250 using .500 mild steel settings at 80 amps. I've completed the job so the plate is now many small plates. The magnetism seemed to decrease as the plate got smaller and the cuts got better. So now I'm troubleshooting after the fact.

I lift with a plate clamp so the magnetism was not induced here. I'v never seen SSS steel use magnets either. But that doesn't rule them out.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

I've noticed that AR500 plate is magnetic after I cut it.
Stout

Post by Stout »

I still have a bunch of AR500 and none of those plates are magnetic. So it's a new one to me.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”