Do cut settings change with a water table

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Do cut settings change with a water table

Post by beefy »

On another forum someone is waiting for an answer on a question, which is do cut settings change when cutting with a water table and the water is in contact with the bottom of the material.

At some point I'll be installing my water tray and thought that's a very valid question.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Do cut settings change with a water table

Post by muzza »

I don't have the water touching the metal, generally about 20mm (3/4") below and use the same settings.
Murray
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks Muzza,

a lot of the time I'll cut like that too to get the best edge quality. From what I've read though quite a few have it either like that or touching to prevent distortion. Depends on the job.

I'm looking into doing bridge cutting too where a part is only partially cut then goes to partially cut another peice, etc. The parts end up "bridged" with small tabs, much better than normal tab cutting where the torch turns off, moves a small amount along the cut path and pierces again. With bridge cutting however, distortion due to heat expansion would be a disaster. When the torch came to finish the first cut it could be out of alignment.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

At the height I use I get plenty of water coming back up on the job to control distortion and smoke.
Murray
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks Murray, good to know.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”