Avg cut speed for 16g mild steel

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
paul@superbcurb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Avg cut speed for 16g mild steel

Post by paul@superbcurb »

I downloaded a file" always kiss me goodnight" and am using 16g mild steel. I'm using a p-cam w/therm 45 cutting at 40 in/min with a fine tip. I seem to be getting the tips of some letters too hot and their balling up for the lack of a better word. What are some avg speeds that you guys cut at. I don't want To go fast and damage the pieces theirs some nice detail work. I cut one and the original size as the file and had problems. I increased the sized of the project and didn't have any problems. The only bad thing I don't want all of them that big. Any suggestions?
Paul
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Avg cut speed for 16g mild steel

Post by bhamer62 »

Can't help you with any suggestions for plasma, but I made that file and cut it on a laser. I wasn't sure how it would do on a plasma, I don't have any experience with one. Lotsa guys on here with tons of experience though, hopefully someone can help you out.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

I've never cut that file, but I cut 16 gauge with my hyperthem PM 45 using the fine cut consumables at 40 amps and 100 IPM.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I cut a lot of 16g mild, normally about 20 sheets a month and have also cut the file you mention. I know the book says faster but I have had best results cutting with a Hypertherm PM45 at 6800 mm to 7200 mm per minute (approx 270 to 285 inches per minute) but have had best results with the plasma amperate set at around 35 amps. If I notice it not cutting cleanly which I pick up large by sound I then slow it back to finish the cut and then change out the consumable set. I only use standard genuine 45 amp consumables and typically use about 5 to 8 sets a month.

Yes that file as well as some other intricate ones do result in a bit of underside dross balling where the torch slows at the tips but it cleans off relatively easy with a wire cup wheel on a 5 inch grinder.

Murray
paul@superbcurb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Bill, thank you for that file. My wife really likes it. I added our names on the top. I did delete a couple of the smaller details on the lower corners. I will try it again tomorrow maybe double my original cut speed. I'll let u know when I find the optimum speed. We plan on giving one to each daughter for their anniversary, with their names on top. Thanks again very nice design. Paul
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Sampson Jones »

16ga -powermax 45 - 350 ipm just like the manual suggest on a home built machine , perfect cuts.
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Thanks Paul, appreciate the gratitude. One thing I did notice is that I did make the text a bit fragile and should have chosen a better font for the application. Lesson learned for future ones ;) I sometimes forget I work in a laser shop and sometimes that can make a flimsy design :roll: Check out the nana door topper I just posted last night, that ones a bit beefier and WILL plasma cut nicely. I hope!!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

with my hyperthem PM 45 using the fine cut consumables at 40 amps and 100 IPM
I was told by my supplier that there were no fine cut consumables for the Powermax 45. Could you list the part numbers that you are using?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

Use the PM 30 consumables.

But, what Jim Colt had told me was, there is only about a .006 difference in the kerf.

Here is a link to a post that Jim talks about it.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 719#p13172
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

paul@superbcurb wrote:I downloaded a file" always kiss me goodnight" and am using 16g mild steel. I'm using a p-cam w/therm 45 cutting at 40 in/min with a fine tip. I seem to be getting the tips of some letters too hot and their balling up for the lack of a better word. What are some avg speeds that you guys cut at. I don't want To go fast and damage the pieces theirs some nice detail work. I cut one and the original size as the file and had problems. I increased the sized of the project and didn't have any problems. The only bad thing I don't want all of them that big. Any suggestions?
Paul
Last edited by jimcolt on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Paul,

You need to open up your Powermax45 operators manual to the many pages of mechanized cut charts. There you will find the specifications for cutting every thickness and type of material. You can cut 16 gauge steel with the 45 amp shielded consumables.....with the amperage set at either 30 amps or at 45 amps.....these specs are covered very clearly in the cut charts. You can also use the 30 amp non shielded consumables....thes are the same parts that Hypertherm uses in its Powermax30 torch...and will provide the same effect that the FineCut consumables do in other Hypertherm systems.....slightly slower speeds and a slightly narrower cut kerf.

If you are cutting 16 ga steel at 40 inches per minute....I can guarantee bad cut quality, dross warpage, wide kerf, a wide heat affected zone......this is way too slow to cut this material. Plasma cutting is a speed dependent process....you must follow the cut charts for pierce height, pierce delay, cut height and cut speed if you desire the best results.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
paul@superbcurb wrote:I downloaded a file" always kiss me goodnight" and am using 16g mild steel. I'm using a p-cam w/therm 45 cutting at 40 in/min with a fine tip. I seem to be getting the tips of some letters too hot and their balling up for the lack of a better word. What are some avg speeds that you guys cut at. I don't want To go fast and damage the pieces theirs some nice detail work. I cut one and the original size as the file and had problems. I increased the sized of the project and didn't have any problems. The only bad thing I don't want all of them that big. Any suggestions?
Paul
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here are the consumables and cut chart (as listed in your operators manual for the 30 amp unshielded consumables for a Powermax45)...I copied this from my manual...Notice the recommended cut speed when using these consumables on 16 ga steel is 175 ipm.....that is necessary for best quality.

Jim Colt
30amp consumables.png
30amp consumables.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
30amp consumables.png
30amp consumables.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
30ampcut chart.png
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

tnbndr wrote:
with my hyperthem PM 45 using the fine cut consumables at 40 amps and 100 IPM
I was told by my supplier that there were no fine cut consumables for the Powermax 45. Could you list the part numbers that you are using?

Sorry that was a typo, I have a 65. I just had 40 amps on the brain when I was typing that.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Jim:
Thanks for the response, will investigate. Are the Powermax manuals avaialable online in pdf format somewhere. I do not see that page anywhere in the manual that came with my machine.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
paul@superbcurb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Good morning gentlemen,
Thank you for helping to get us up to speed.
@bill- I don't think your design is flimsy at all. By reading my posts you can tell that I'm on the up side of the learning curve and have a long way to go. You just keep producing the nice quality files and before long I will be able to contribute back.
@dennis the supplier in our area told me that nozzle 220718 was a fine tip for the therm45 Jim can u set us straight. I may also try that same file at 100ipm and see the results.
@ Jim thank you for the data you've provided. Unfortunately I don't have an oprerators manual. The equipment was delivered to me with only a safety and compliance manual. I have been flying by the seat of my pants and doing more crash and burns than soaring like eagles. Here's a little history... Praxair south bend Indiana is where the therm unit came from. The rep for this area is ken partaki from Chicago. The boys at praxair don't know very much about what their selling with the exception of the repair guy"Ed" but it's hard to get to talk to him. I would call praxair with questions and they gave me kens # and said call him he's the expert. I left message after message and never got a return call. Voiced my concerns back at praxair and was told hes really busy just keep trying. Im not that kind of guy(i'll figure it out myself right?) I will adjust my equip to the reccommended settings and go again. How can I get my hands on an operators manual. It may have been removed by the guy who brought the equip to our shop. He originally owned it all?
Thanks again for all the advise,
Paul
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

For models that are currently produced you can get a downloadable copy of the operators manual at the www.hypertherm.com website....go to "Products", "hand held plasma", choose "Powermax 45", then choose "Downloads" and you will see the operators manual avaialble. I'll make it easier...this link should get you there: http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Product ... #downloads

If it is a Hypertherm system that is no longer in production, such as a Powermax600.....go to the www.hypertherm.com site, click on "Document Library", choose system type in the drop down menu (Powermax 600), then choose manual, and download it as a .pdf.

Our units are all shipped with a print copy of the manual as well as a disc with an electronic version.
I am not generally a manual reader....but the Hypertherm manuals are very complete, very accurate, and have all of the information needed to get good cuts. When you guys ask me a question online.....I open up the manual, get the info and respond to you.
Hope this helps.

Jim Colt

paul@superbcurb wrote:Good morning gentlemen,
Thank you for helping to get us up to speed.
@bill- I don't think your design is flimsy at all. By reading my posts you can tell that I'm on the up side of the learning curve and have a long way to go. You just keep producing the nice quality files and before long I will be able to contribute back.
@dennis the supplier in our area told me that nozzle 220718 was a fine tip for the therm45 Jim can u set us straight. I may also try that same file at 100ipm and see the results.
@ Jim thank you for the data you've provided. Unfortunately I don't have an oprerators manual. The equipment was delivered to me with only a safety and compliance manual. I have been flying by the seat of my pants and doing more crash and burns than soaring like eagles. Here's a little history... Praxair south bend Indiana is where the therm unit came from. The rep for this area is ken partaki from Chicago. The boys at praxair don't know very much about what their selling with the exception of the repair guy"Ed" but it's hard to get to talk to him. I would call praxair with questions and they gave me kens # and said call him he's the expert. I left message after message and never got a return call. Voiced my concerns back at praxair and was told hes really busy just keep trying. Im not that kind of guy(i'll figure it out myself right?) I will adjust my equip to the reccommended settings and go again. How can I get my hands on an operators manual. It may have been removed by the guy who brought the equip to our shop. He originally owned it all?
Thanks again for all the advise,
Paul
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Jim:
Thanks for the links. I know I did not get that manual with my machine. I will look for the disc when I get a chance. I always keep the box with all papers etc stored. I would have seen a 106 page manual. This will answer a lot of questions and perhaps save you some time.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”