1st gen Plasmacam upgrade.

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

1st gen Plasmacam upgrade.

Post by GoingCustom »

I have a 1st gen Plasmacam table and as much as I'd like to upgrade to a 5x10 of a different brand, I was thinking about updating the current table - $2-3k vs $13-15k. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to get away from the belt driven motors, but not sure if that's feasible? Plasmacam has very limited information on their site and calling them, they just want to sell me a new table. I can purchase new, replacement parts for the current setup (which I will most likely due if there aren't upgrades available). Just thought I'd check with the all-knowing plasmacam forum before doing so :D Thanks for the help/suggestions!!

The interest in upgrading the table is parts are just starting to get warn out and cuts just aren't as clean/straight as they use to be.
Travis

one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 1st gen Plasmacam upgrade.

Post by jimcolt »

Which model number on the PlasmaCam? Is it currently operational? Do you have the software?

Jim
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

jimcolt wrote:Which model number on the PlasmaCam? Is it currently operational? Do you have the software?

Jim
98-Z, yes, and yes
Last edited by GoingCustom on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

PlasmaCam model numbers are: 98-Z (4 x 4 with electromechanical drag style THC, 2 wire plasma interface), DHC (4 x 4 with arc voltage based THC with a 4 wire plasma interface) DHC2 (4 x 4 with arc voltage THC with ohmic plate contact and a 4 wire plasma interface) and Samson (5 x10 version of DHC2).I have never heard of a model called 1902....maybe that is he serial number?

Whay do you want to upgrade....what are the goals of upgrading?

Jim Colt

GoingCustom wrote:
jimcolt wrote:Which model number on the PlasmaCam? Is it currently operational? Do you have the software?

Jim
1902, yes, and yes
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

Whoops, yes, 98-Z sounds familiar, I was thinking serial number. And my goals are in the first post; get away from belt driven motors (if possible). And something I forgot to add to first post is upgrading the torch holder and getting different attachments (if they make a router attachment for the 98-Z).
Travis

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That is better.. The PlasmaCams all use servo motors and a belt reduction drive. The 98Z always had trouble with belts...they were simply too small and required constant replacement. They are only about $3 each....so cost was not bad.

Using the PlasmaCam electronics and software....which was designed specifically to drive the servo motors on that machine....there is no possibility to change to another motor design. Regardless.....to get rid of belt reductions you would need to go to gearboxes (about $300 each) in order to meet the speeds and torque neccesary for plasma....you would need a different ratio for routing (slower, more power).

You could change to stepper drives (a step back from servos for many reasons) but then you would need all new electronics, drivers and would need reduction (belt or gearbox) especially for routing. Check out www.candcnc.com

My suggestion: If your 98Z plasma cam is operational ....sell it. There is good demand and it is likely worth $3500 or so. Then build or buy a machine that meets your needs and will work with a router.

Note, the newer model Plasma Cams....while designed for plasma cutting....do have enough torque for routing and do not have any issues with the belt reductions. I hav owned both the 98Z and current have a newer DHC2. The DHC2 is a great machine with excellent perfomance for plasma cutting.

Jim Colt

GoingCustom wrote:Whoops, yes, 98-Z sounds familiar, I was thinking serial number. And my goals are in the first post; get away from belt driven motors (if possible). And something I forgot to add to first post is upgrading the torch holder (if they make router attachments for the 98-Z).
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

to make a long painful story short and painless, just forget about plasmacam for routing...
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

SignTorch Vector Art wrote:to make a long painful story short and painless, just forget about plasmacam for routing...
After seeing a buddy that picked up a torchmate, I won't be going with plasmacam when I upgrade to a larger table. Not necessarily saying I'll go with torchmate, but just how much better/stronger the table is. That's the second torchmate I've seen in person and the build quality is quite a bit higher.
Travis

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Torchmate has a lot of different models and different price/option levels as compared to PlasmaCam. When you have both brand machines (I do) you will quickly understand the differences in performance, learning curve, ease of use. The 4 x 4 PlasmaCam with all options is around $11k. The 4 x 4 Torchmate with all options is a little more.

Torchmate has an advantage with slightly heavier construction...unfortunately uses stepper drives, and universal software that was not specifically designed for plasma cutting. PlasmaCam is lighter, has better acceleration, uses servo drives, and in my opinion the software is easy...and has every feature I have ever needed.

There are a lot of choices in low cost machines. A few choices in my opinion are necessary: A good quality plasma, a full featured height control, at least a 4' wide table, cut speeds to at least 300 ipm.

Jim

GoingCustom wrote:
SignTorch Vector Art wrote:to make a long painful story short and painless, just forget about plasmacam for routing...
After seeing a buddy that picked up a torchmate, I won't be going with plasmacam when I upgrade to a larger table. Not necessarily saying I'll go with torchmate, but just how much better/stronger the table is. That's the second torchmate I've seen in person and the build quality is quite a bit higher.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I had a 4x4 Plasmacam DHC for several years, then bought a new Torchmate 2 4x8 but the wife didn't like it (she runs the machine) so we sold it and bought a new Samson 5x10. Now she's happier than a pig in _ _ _ _! She just liked the programming better. And the table, in my opinion, is well built. The largest piece of steel we put on it is 4x8x1/2" plates and I definitely don't see a problem.

Allen
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by planetxfred »

Too many times, people equate heavier with better. It's not always so. A well designed machine is heavy enough and strong enough to do the job (with a little margin for overload), but not so heavy that it is cumbersome or overloaded. A gantry that is twice or three timed as heavy as needed or sits higher than needed will cost you in speed and acceleration. Motors with just enough power to do the job (again with a little cushion), will trip out before doing much damage, where an overly powerful motor can make a mess of things. Speed, acceleration and precision are the key along with a well designed frame that is stiff enough to support the load. It is easy to overbuild as insurance, but it will cost you more from product price and shipping cost and on and on.
My two cents.
Fred
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

Thank you for the replies. I agree on the overloading aspect. Although I notice with my plasmacam table, there is too much flex/give, in my opinion, especially cutting at faster speeds. Something more "solid" as I have seen with other tables, provides a more crisp finished product.
Travis

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”