Torch stays in 1 place

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
alleykat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Torch stays in 1 place

Post by alleykat »

I was doing some cutting earlier and a old problem came back.

Basically i'll load up the file in mach 3,start the cut and the torch just stays there.Now I do see its up too high so it wont pierce correctly and move on.No matter what pierce height I start with , it will keep repeating this.

One thing I noticed is if i DONT turn on the THC,the torch will move like its supposed to but obviously cut will be crappy since torch moves away from the metal.If I start it and push on the THC then the motors stop right away.If i start it and wait till the initial arc starts -then- turn on the THC,it will keep on moving like its supposed to.

Has this happened to anyone? I messed up 2 new tips with all the restarts & stalls I had.
PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster A60
The Boss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Torch stays in 1 place

Post by The Boss »

What THC do you have?
alleykat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by alleykat »

The Boss wrote:What THC do you have?
It's unit that came with the table,plasmaroute's own THC. I called today so waiting on a call back.Sucks when you have stuff that needs to be cut!

Dont want to mess up more tips though and I sure don't wanna mess up my 3/8 sheet.
PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

Good luck on the call back. They might write down your information but typically "they're too busy". Might wanna search the CandCNC forums for help on this. Thats assuming you have CandCNC controller. If you do, in Mach3 it'll say CandCNC and give you the Model # somewhere on the screen.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
Woodville Iron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Woodville Iron »

I had the same problem last week. I sent Steve an e-mail and this was his answer; "you lost the Arc OK signal which happens from time to time on thin metal.
All you have to do when that happens is to turn off the THC button in Mach and then hit the Cycle Start button again and it will take off and start cutting again. Then just turn on the THC button again and let the job finish." I tried it and it worked, and I haven't had the problem since. I hope this helps
billy55
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by billy55 »

I'm having the same problem and sure hope this helps! Cause it sure is getting frustrating. Thanks for the input guys,I can cut 1 pc out and it works fine next pc it gets a weak arc and will not pierce,I've been using a piece of scrap to run under arc at every pierce and that works but its a pain.
Plasmaroute HD 4x4 TD A-80
alleykat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by alleykat »

I talked to Nikki after I posted last.She gave me several tips but the 1st thing she told me I went with since it seemed like the most obvious culprit.All I did was get a flap disc on my grinder and clean the ground clamp area way better than just clamping it on there.I guess that mill scale was worse than I thought and was messing up my signal.I cut 3/8 and 1/4 all weekend long,problem free.
PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
Woodville Iron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Woodville Iron »

I've noticed another cause of losing the arc ok. Sometimes I'll get some dross splash back on the tip. When this happens the torch will lite but it won't move. I'm guessing it's because the THC cant read the voltage. When this happens I've discovered that if I run something between the tip and the work surface it will start moving and will go to the next cut. I've just about ruined a good leather man but it has saved me on a couple of long intricate cuts. You may have to jump start it a couple of times before the dross is cleaned off and it will go back to cutting normally. I know this is a little unconventional but it seems to work.
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

I also had the same problem (same machine and table as you) and I also cleaned up my ground clamp. I purchased a magnetic ground clamp from Tractor Supply. This seems to work better since the ground clamp from my TD cutter does get corrided.
alleykat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by alleykat »

tirediron wrote:I also had the same problem (same machine and table as you) and I also cleaned up my ground clamp. I purchased a magnetic ground clamp from Tractor Supply. This seems to work better since the ground clamp from my TD cutter does get corrided.
I've been running problem free since my last post.My cuts have improved a lot too from adjusting my cut height.Whatever the TD book says,im going lower.The dross on my pieces now falls off on its own.
PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
Doc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Doc »

New to this site, which was a lucky find for me...
I also have a Plasmaroute Blaze3 with TD A60. Went through a frustrating number of months trying to get it up and running, with minimal help from Steve and Nikki who either didn't answer or sent dismissive emails. Got it going perfectly and then...
Cuts fine with the THC off, but stops with THC on. cutting 16g a and the cuts are still good but not great quality.
Waiting for a response from them now.
Highly recommend Les Newell who authors Sheetcam. He's very helpful with questions, and answers promptly too.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

could the pierce delay be to long for thin material??
I replace the spring loaded ground clamp with this.
Attachments
ground clamp.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Doc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Doc »

Thanks for the suggestions. And I will give the clamp design a try.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”