TORCH NOT FOLLOWING THE DRAWING

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
findau
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

TORCH NOT FOLLOWING THE DRAWING

Post by findau »

I am still having the problem with the torch not following the drawing at times. I have replaced the main cable and the gantry cable, tested the encoders, tested the servo motors for resistence and ground to the case.. This is a DHC machine with a Hypertherm 900 and fine cuts. The cut may start out in the wrong spot or cut the entire drawing down to the last cut and then cut in the wrong place. This is costing a fortune in steel and parts let alone the lost business. I hope someone can help.
Chuck (az)
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: TORCH NOT FOLLOWING THE DRAWING

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

Let us know what table you have. Different tables have different qwerks. Could be something as simple as a bad bearing or a motor tuning problem. What programs your running. Could have a setting or 2 wrong so when it posts the G-code that where everything gets wacky.

Details Details Details
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
findau
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by findau »

This is a Plasmacam 4' x 4' DHC with Plasmacam software. The machine has been operating very well since 2010. All of a sudden it doesn't know where the torch is at times. I have also checked the drive pulleys and replaced the belts. The servo motors are $298.00 each, including the encoders, so I would like to not just go on an expensive spending spree and hope it fixes the problem. Thanks for the response.
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

findau wrote:This is a Plasmacam 4' x 4' DHC with Plasmacam software. The machine has been operating very well since 2010. All of a sudden it doesn't know where the torch is at times. I have also checked the drive pulleys and replaced the belts. The servo motors are $298.00 each, including the encoders, so I would like to not just go on an expensive spending spree and hope it fixes the problem. Thanks for the response.
I have had that problem numerous times.......you say you checked the drive pullys? but did you replace them? Mine did not look wore but they were. You should replace the little aluminum gear and belts at the same time.
you can check to see if you are losing position by marking it when you are in the "home" position and setting the rapid speed acceleration up to 2 g's, ( see pics) then move gantry back and forth with your control box, then move back to home(manually and carfully by hand as to not crash into the end) the marks should still line up...... if you don't understand watch the video manual provided with the install disk...it will explain step by step how to do this.....
marks.JPG
rapid travel.jpg
Brian
findau
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by findau »

Thanks for the reply. I did not change the drive gear for the very reason you stated, they looked ok. I will give this a try and see what happens. Thanks again.
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

If you do the mark test you will see if it is slipping in one of those pcs.
Brian
Lone star
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Lone star »

I am having the same problem with a Torchmate 4X4 (new in October) with a Hypertherm Powermate 45. Any thoughts?
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Lone star wrote:I am having the same problem with a Torchmate 4X4 (new in October) with a Hypertherm Powermate 45. Any thoughts?
I am not familiar with the torchmate......But......I bet someone here is......
Brian
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

BrianMick wrote:If you do the mark test you will see if it is slipping in one of those pcs.
Brian
I knew if the information was there that someone would come forward and help.

Brian's always here to save the day!
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”