How to decrease pierce spray

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

How to decrease pierce spray

Post by Stout »

Does anyone have a solution to decrease the spray produced during piercing plate. I've been cutting a lot of 3/4" MS and would really like to find a way to keep the molten metal spray to a minimum.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How to decrease pierce spray

Post by BrianMick »

I just cut a lot of 1 inch mild steel yesterday......tend to go through a lot of shields because of the spray. I usually mark the pierce point and drill a small 1/4 inch hole.....then no pierce or pierce time is needed.....no spray because the molten metal has somewhere to go.....
Brian
Stout

Post by Stout »

In this case, there are 75 pierces on the sheet. I don't think drilling holes would be practical.

I haven't had any shield issues so far. Are you using a Hypertherm machine torch with shields? I have had to stop the machine to remove dross spray.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

yes I am running a hypertherm 1650. I drilled over 250 holes yesterday, it wasn't fun but had to be done.
Brian
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The maximum pierce thickness rating on the 1650 is 3/4". If you upgrade to the Duramax torch you could pierce the 1"....as long as you have a good height control that can set an accurate pierce height. The time you would have saved drilling 250 holes in 1" plate probably would buy the Duramax torch!

Jim Colt

BrianMick wrote:yes I am running a hypertherm 1650. I drilled over 250 holes yesterday, it wasn't fun but had to be done.
Brian
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Not to worried about that jim as within two weeks my alltra table with a hpr400 xd will be installed :P :P :P :P
Brian
Stout

Post by Stout »

BrianMick wrote:yes I am running a hypertherm 1650. I drilled over 250 holes yesterday, it wasn't fun but had to be done.
Brian
Curious to see how you located the pierce point of the holes to drill them. Did you move the machine to the start point, mark it, move it out of the way, and then drill?
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Now you are talking "Industrial Plasma"! You can pierce 2 inch with the 400.

Jim

BrianMick wrote:Not to worried about that jim as within two weeks my alltra table with a hpr400 xd will be installed :P :P :P :P
Brian
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Stout wrote:
Brian
Curious to see how you located the pierce point of the holes to drill them. Did you move the machine to the start point, mark it, move it out of the way, and then drill?
my machine has the capability to mark points so I just drew the points and end point snapped them on the end of the lead-ins, then it just fires long enough to put a small dimple where the pierce would start.....
Brian
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Can't you make some sort of shield so the metal doesn't fly all over the place. I know with waterjet and laser cutting there is a shroud around the cutting head.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Don't know what software you are using but if it is Sheetcam try the "wiggle" pierce. I have not tried it but it was designed to help piercing heavy material.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Stout

Post by Stout »

I'm using TurboNest so I'll give them a call to see if there is a feature like that. I have not seen it in any settings.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

A wiggle pierce or a running pierce will not change the amount of molten metal that blows back....in fact they will generally produce more. Hypertherm torches are designed to pierce at the recommended pierce height and pierce delay time (from the cut chart in the operators manual) while staying in one position....this makes for a quick and efficient pierce. The amount of molten blowback is dependant on the material thickness and the power level/nozzle size......if you use a wiggle or moving pierce it will take longer/blow more material back.

If the blow back is of issue...I would suggest fabricating a shroud around the torch. I have done it on occasion at trade shows by using a piece of welding curtain material velcro'd to a ring around the torch. This will effectively control the sparks and also subdues the UV light from the arc a bit....and is easy to replace.
Stout

Post by Stout »

I was looking at the TurboNest options and there is a Pre-pierce option that I had not looked at. Along with the amount of spray generated by the pierce, the issue of torch travel at cut height was causing collisions with the top spay puddle while cutting the 3/4" MS. The pre-pierce option will pierce by blow through or with a circle of a specified radius. It will do all of the pre-pierces for the whole plate so I can clean up the top dross before the cutting starts and avoid collisions. I think I read the help file properly. I should have some 3/4" MS to cut in about a week so I'll test it then.

I will be making a cone or curtain to attach to the torch for the pierces. And it will probably be disposable because I'm sure the spray will stick to it like glue, or molten metal. I wonder if the anti-spatter would help here.

Any thoughts on anti-spatter for the torch shield and nozzle. I don't know what impact it would have on all those little holes in the shield.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Anti spatter spray...used lightly on the shield is good to keep spatter from the shield. To avoid collisions with top slay from piercing....you can spray the anti spatter on the top of the plate...it works amazingly well. You can also make longer leadins....and use a slightly higher pierce height and pierce delay. Some cnc machines and torch height controls have settings and features that eliminate collisions with top spatter....some do not.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

I routinely cut 1/2" and 5/8" plate on my table. After trying several different things to eliminate or decrease the problem with the "pierce puddle" including anti-spatter spray and drilling pierce holes I finally found something that works for me with the equipment I use.

1. Set the cutting software to pause before cutting.
2. Press start. The torch will fire and pierce the material. The instant you hear the pierce penetrate the plate press stop. With a little practice you will be able to stop the torch before it starts moving along the cut path.
3. Using a small chisel tap the pierce puddle and knock it loose.
4. Press start and continue the cut.

Works great for me. I have a Samson 5' x 10' with height control running DesignEdge with all the options and Hypertherm Powermax 1000.

Danny
Attachments
IMG_0820_web.jpg
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
cstroke

Post by cstroke »

that certainly is one big heavy toilet seat..
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

cstroke wrote:that certainly is one big heavy toilet seat..
Now I gotta clean soda off of my keyboard!
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

cstroke wrote:that certainly is one big heavy toilet seat..

LMAO! :lol: :lol: Like they always say, you get what you pay for!
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

That is actually a hinge plate for a flare stack unit. If you have ever seen an oil well site where they are burning off gas from the well site, this is a hinge plate for the tall pipe that the flame comes out of.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”