2 out 4 lines are clean

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
mapequipment
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

2 out 4 lines are clean

Post by mapequipment »

Good evening,
I'm having some problems with my cuts and thought I could ask intead of drive myself crazy. I have a bailey table with a Thermadyne A120. First off I believe already there is a problem with the A120, if I go over 40 amps ith throws the 85psi error at me, but as long as I stay 40 and under it will cut. Anyways what I have figured out is if I cut a square starting in the top right quadrant cutting anticlockwise the first two sides are excellent the second two are awful, leaving behind thick slag. Could it be my head is angled? Or if I cut clockwise will it make it better? Or could this be a side effect of my machine being underpowered? Thank you in advance!
Cody
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 2 out 4 lines are clean

Post by jimcolt »

If the center piece is the part you want (not the hole) then you are cutting in the wrong direction. All outside diameters are cut clockwise, all inside diameters are cut ccw for best edge angularity. The fact that two sides are way different indicates that either:

1. The torch is out of square to the plate. Square it up by measuring with a square on two axis......don't use a level!
2. The nozzle (tip) orifice may be damaged. Inspect it with a magnifying eye loupe....looks for nicks or out of roundness. Nicks or out of roundness will cause varying angularity...and are caused by piercing too close to the plate.
3.Height or cut speed is changing...which will affect angularity.

For the error code...I suggest contacting T-D technical service.

Jim Colt

mapequipment wrote:Good evening,
I'm having some problems with my cuts and thought I could ask intead of drive myself crazy. I have a bailey table with a Thermadyne A120. First off I believe already there is a problem with the A120, if I go over 40 amps ith throws the 85psi error at me, but as long as I stay 40 and under it will cut. Anyways what I have figured out is if I cut a square starting in the top right quadrant cutting anticlockwise the first two sides are excellent the second two are awful, leaving behind thick slag. Could it be my head is angled? Or if I cut clockwise will it make it better? Or could this be a side effect of my machine being underpowered? Thank you in advance!
Cody
mapequipment
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mapequipment »

Jim, thank you greatly for the reply. I double checked the head and it was about 2 degrees off. Also put in all new consumables. Still the same problem, but I believe I have narrowed it down to the TD, I believe it is not maintaining voltage causing the automatic head to move up and down when it doesn't need to, and the cuts are progressively getting worse with lower and higher speeds. Thank you for your help, I have been looking very hard at hypertherms to replace it with but unfortunately was told they will not hook into my table. But if problems persist with the TD I will make one fit!
Have a good one.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm plasma systems will connect to any cnc plasma table. If anyone said you could not connect a Hypertherm to a particualr machine...they were wrong!

Jim Colt

mapequipment wrote:Jim, thank you greatly for the reply. I double checked the head and it was about 2 degrees off. Also put in all new consumables. Still the same problem, but I believe I have narrowed it down to the TD, I believe it is not maintaining voltage causing the automatic head to move up and down when it doesn't need to, and the cuts are progressively getting worse with lower and higher speeds. Thank you for your help, I have been looking very hard at hypertherms to replace it with but unfortunately was told they will not hook into my table. But if problems persist with the TD I will make one fit!
Have a good one.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”