Electrodes and tips welding closed in 5 minutes

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
gocanes719
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Electrodes and tips welding closed in 5 minutes

Post by gocanes719 »

I have a miller spectrum 375 I've used for several years. I don't use it everyday just as needed on the plasmacam. I had to get some small ovals cut for trophy bases and used the same settings on my plasmacam and the plasmacutter and for whatever reason I couldn't get a tip and elctrode to last more than one cut. The tip and elctrode were both welding themselves closed and the tip would turn orange. I changed 5 sets of tips and elctrodes in an hour. Normally a tip and electrode last me weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on? I'm confused because I used it the same way I have for years. I basically had to put a new set of consumables for every oval I cut.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Electrodes and tips welding closed in 5 minutes

Post by jimcolt »

Sounds as though either the pilot arc circuit is staying on....which puts a high amount of current on the nozzle, ultimately overheating it. Could also be an air flow restriction...I would recomend contacting Miller's tech service.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

gocanes719 wrote:I have a miller spectrum 375 I've used for several years. I don't use it everyday just as needed on the plasmacam. I had to get some small ovals cut for trophy bases and used the same settings on my plasmacam and the plasmacutter and for whatever reason I couldn't get a tip and elctrode to last more than one cut. The tip and elctrode were both welding themselves closed and the tip would turn orange. I changed 5 sets of tips and elctrodes in an hour. Normally a tip and electrode last me weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on? I'm confused because I used it the same way I have for years. I basically had to put a new set of consumables for every oval I cut.
RobertM
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Electrodes and tips welding closed in 5 minutes

Post by RobertM »

For my Hypertherm, when I bought off brand consumables I had the exact same problem. It made my weekend a living hell. Monday I went the the weld shop and bought Hypertherm parts, put them in and all was good in the world again. As a machinist, I measured the two versions and all dimensions were the same within .001 except the diameter of the tungsten imbedded in the tip. It didn't seem like a big deal, but it was huge. I was trying to cut 3/4 steel and the off brand never made it. I'll never deviate again.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”