Fine cut settings? (Sheetcam?)

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
donaldlsabo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Fine cut settings? (Sheetcam?)

Post by donaldlsabo »

So we just got in some of the hypermax finecut consumables, and as far as we knew, all we needed to change was the kerf width in sheetcam (so the offsets would be accounted for as appropriate)

We're not getting clean cuts (it appears that the kerf is filling in with dross), and the warpage is worse than we've ever had...

What do we need to do to use the fine cut consumables with sheetcam?
Attachments
An image showing our 'test' cut
An image showing our 'test' cut
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Fine cut settings? (Sheetcam?)

Post by FiveORacing »

What gauge and what are your settings? I got better results when I learned to dial down the power when using 35 consumables on my 45 machine. I was cutting 16 gauge CR steel today with 30 consumables and I'm at 100 preset volts in MACH, dial set at 35 on the HT,and speed at 190. I also have my cut height pretty low, lower than the HT book says. Sheetcam lets you tell the torch how far off the lines you want to cut.
I realize you're using a different machine, but I think the principles are the same.
I think you're just too hot.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Are you using the right shield for the FC consubables? Also when I switch to FC I have to go slower then wen cutting with a standard 40 amp tip.
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
donaldlsabo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by donaldlsabo »

You're probably right, FiveORacing. The first thought I had when we fired it up was 'that seems a lot hotter and brighter, and it's coloring the work... ' but I figured it was just a consequence of having a thinner kerf.

We'll try and dial it back down and see how that works, thanks.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

From the pic it looks like your physical cut height was way too high. The FineCut consumables need very accurate height...or they will not cut through.

Let us know what Hypertherm plasma.....what material and thickness and we can probably help.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

donaldlsabo wrote:So we just got in some of the hypermax finecut consumables, and as far as we knew, all we needed to change was the kerf width in sheetcam (so the offsets would be accounted for as appropriate)

We're not getting clean cuts (it appears that the kerf is filling in with dross), and the warpage is worse than we've ever had...

What do we need to do to use the fine cut consumables with sheetcam?
Carlton
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Carlton »

When I have had results that look like yours there have been the following two problems. The ground is not attached directly to the material I am cutting. The electrode and or nozzle need to be replaced.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”