hypertherm 45 piercing size

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
battwell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

hypertherm 45 piercing size

Post by battwell »

hi guys. im new to this forum.
i just got my machine finished up. its a home built but very similar to a popular make.
im using a hypertherm 45 with machine torch and c and cnc height controller (which i dont know if its working quite right yet!)

anyway ive programmed for 1mm steel a pierce height of 3.8mm and then cut height of 1.5mm using shielded 45 a consumables (new)
feed speed is 9500mm/minute
if i cut an outside vector with a lead in everything is nice
but just cutting a line gives me a horrible pierce hole at the start and a smaller one at the end of the cut
im using sheetcam and have tool programmed as no delay at start or at end of cut

what sort of pierce diameter should i expect? what would be the sort of kerf width i should expect too?

ive cut a few parts today and after reading a fair bit on here ive got the quality of cut a lot better . still getting a bit of hard stuff on the back of the metal.
by the way im cutting zintec not plain steel

so far ive only cut a few parts all with files downloaded from this site.

im not new to cnc or mach3 , but i am new to plasma.
here is my machine cutting tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuL62sgdRS0
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: hypertherm 45 piercing size

Post by jimcolt »

The cutting kerf width with the 45 amps shielded consumables varies with changes in speed, height, consumable wear and material thickness and type. If you are cutting 1mm steel at book specs (9000 mm per minute, 1.5mm cut height, new nozzle) the kerf width will be about .035" (measured in the middle of the cut...wider at the top, narrower at the bottom). Sorry that I am mixing up metric and imperial measurement...don't have all of the manuals in front of me!

The pierce hole size is dependant on any machine movement delays...as well as machine acceleration. No delay and extremely high acceleration rates will make for a smaller pierce hole....but it will not likely be eliminated.

Jim Colt

battwell wrote:hi guys. im new to this forum.
i just got my machine finished up. its a home built but very similar to a popular make.
im using a hypertherm 45 with machine torch and c and cnc height controller (which i dont know if its working quite right yet!)

anyway ive programmed for 1mm steel a pierce height of 3.8mm and then cut height of 1.5mm using shielded 45 a consumables (new)
feed speed is 9500mm/minute
if i cut an outside vector with a lead in everything is nice
but just cutting a line gives me a horrible pierce hole at the start and a smaller one at the end of the cut
im using sheetcam and have tool programmed as no delay at start or at end of cut

what sort of pierce diameter should i expect? what would be the sort of kerf width i should expect too?

ive cut a few parts today and after reading a fair bit on here ive got the quality of cut a lot better . still getting a bit of hard stuff on the back of the metal.
by the way im cutting zintec not plain steel

so far ive only cut a few parts all with files downloaded from this site.

im not new to cnc or mach3 , but i am new to plasma.
here is my machine cutting tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuL62sgdRS0

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”