jagged cuts

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
lik2waterski
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

jagged cuts

Post by lik2waterski »

I am new to cnc plasma cutting. My table is a home built. The problem I am having is, when I cut a square one side always is rougher than the other 3 sides. I can see and hear the torch cutting differently going this particular direction. The 3 sides that are cutting good and smooth sound like a hiss of the plasma. The bad side sounds somewhat like a rhythmic vibration hiss, like if you cross a rattle snake sound with a plasma :? . You can also see the torch somewhat flicker on that side.

This problem is very consistent. Anytime the machine cuts in that direction this happens. I am wondering if it has something to do with my slats being bowed in that direction?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Travis
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: jagged cuts

Post by jimcolt »

You don't say what type of plasma torch or what power level and consumables. First thing for troubleshooting: Rotate the torch 90 or 180 degrees and cut the same part. If the bad edge moves with the torch...it obviously is the torch or consumables. If it stays in the same location...it is motion (x or y) related. If it stays in the same place it can also be the slats in your cutting table moving or vibrating. And, yes, motion control issues can make the torch sound different as they affct the process between the material and the torch.

More info and pictures will help...

Jim Colt
lik2waterski
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: jagged cuts

Post by lik2waterski »

Thanks Jim, I will get pics and video after I rotate the torch. Thanks for you expert advise. BTW it is a Pmax 1000 with Duramax machine torch.
Travis

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”