HELP- tm85 broken torch housing

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
AbsoluteFabiowa@gmail.com
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

HELP- tm85 broken torch housing

Post by AbsoluteFabiowa@gmail.com »

I was cutting some 1/2 inch tonight for a first go round with a potentially large client and the torch caught the edge of the plate and broke the grey housing on the torch. can you replace the unit or housing it self or do i have to purchase a whole new torch with 50ft of cable etc.... also is there a different style of holder i can purchase that will breakaway that works on a torchmate x table. thanks guys.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: HELP- tm85 broken torch housing

Post by muzza »

Not sure what sort of table you have but "Possum plasma" on here does a magnetic breakaway to suit Plasma Cam, it may also suit others. Pretty sure Jim runs one on his, he should be able to answer your torch problem too.
Murray
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

Yes, you can buy all the parts for the machine torch individually, as needed. All the part numbers are listed in an exploded view drawing in your owner's manual.

In my case, I broke my torch probably similarly to yours--the tube that is the body broke (they call it the "positioning sleeve") , and the ring inside that bolts between the tube and the torch head broke also. ("front mounting ring") I only replaced the front mounting ring--I flipped the positioning sleeve upside down so the front mounting ring now bolts where the rear mounting ring used to--then squared up the broken end in the lathe, drilled new holes for the rear mounting ring, and put it all back together. I lost about 2" of length, which ends up all being on top where it doesn't matter.

The hardest part for me is that I couldn't find anyone that had the ring in stock, it had to be special ordered from Hypertherm. It ended up taking just over 2 weeks to get it.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

All of the parts for the torch are always in stock at Hypertherm....so when you order through a distributor....you will need to tell them you want it tomorrow. Hypertherm ships the same day if the order comes in before 3:00 PM Eastern time, and we can air freight as well....should be no need for 2 week lead times unless the distributor is a bit slow.

The operators manual shows a breakdown of the machine torch parts. You can also download the service manual from the http://www.hypertherm.com (click on download library, then select the plasma system, select manuals, then service manual) which has more detailed info for all internal torch repairs and parts.

In my opinion a breakaway mount is well worth the price you pay. I feel safe walking away from my machine when it is cutting....and have never broken a torch.

Jim Colt
new pics 013.jpg
new pics 013.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
new pics 013.jpg
new pics 013.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
new pics 016.jpg
new pics 016.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
new pics 016.jpg
new pics 016.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

That grey sleeve will hurt your feeling when it comes time to pay for it. With shipping it is $100 EACH. Seems a little steep(;-) Being it is really a safety breakawy part to protect the torchhead it should be cheaper to protect the customers investment . IF I were HT I would sell that part for dead cost as a thank you for using HT. Basically you use our product We will watch your back if something bad happens.

BUT it is what it is.

(;-) TP
AbsoluteFabiowa@gmail.com
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by AbsoluteFabiowa@gmail.com »

Thanks for the answers guys! local shops wanted a 100 bucks to over night but TORCHMATE pulled through and also suckered myself into a few hundred dollars worth or other goodies. Ordered a handfull of the breakaway sleeve should be rolling by noon tomorrow. Also jim how do i go about getting you to show up at the shop and help me figure out this hole quality issue ive been pulling my hair out over.

Thanks Again Guys
Once i come across a project that is worthwhile ill be sure and pass along the dxf.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Give me some details about your hole cutting issue. Pictures, materials, etc. My holes (with my Powermax85) are pretty nice!

Jim Colt
Powermax holes samples 002.jpg
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The grey sleeve has a list price of $32.95. Next day shipping should be in the $20 range. It is part number 228735.....and is a machined and milled part. The Hypertherm Powermax machine torches are rather low volume production as compared to the hand torches....which outsell machine torches 20:1, so some of the components are a bit pricey. This part is not designed to break away....but it is good that it does....as it saves replacing the whole torch!

If you look at the part.....you would agree that a local machine shop would probably charge well over $100 to make one. The best solution is to have collision protection for your plasma torch!

Jim Colt

vmax549 wrote:That grey sleeve will hurt your feeling when it comes time to pay for it. With shipping it is $100 EACH. Seems a little steep(;-) Being it is really a safety breakawy part to protect the torchhead it should be cheaper to protect the customers investment . IF I were HT I would sell that part for dead cost as a thank you for using HT. Basically you use our product We will watch your back if something bad happens.

BUT it is what it is.

(;-) TP
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Jim we must be talking different parts I am referring to P/N 128643 Price on the net from $81.29- $97.00. I have never seen it below 80 +freight and tax.

(;-) TP
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The original poster was talking about a Powermax65/85 machine torch....the mounting sleeve for that torch is part no. 228735 and it sells for $32.95.

The part you list is a "kit" for the machine torches for the Powermax 1000, 1250 and 1650 torches.....completely different components that will not fit the newer Duramax torch.

Jim

vmax549 wrote:Jim we must be talking different parts I am referring to P/N 128643 Price on the net from $81.29- $97.00. I have never seen it below 80 +freight and tax.

(;-) TP
Last edited by jimcolt on Sun May 06, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here is a picture of the Powermax65/85 machine torch and its components. The mounting sleeve is what usually will break with a hard collision...it is easily replaceable...and is about $33. If you don't have a breakaway torch mount...it may be a good idea to have one of these in stock....dealers do not stock them...they are always in stock at Hypertherm...but you of course would have to wait for (and pay for) shipping!

Jim Colt

machine torch breakdown.png

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”