Powermax 85 Replacing my Miller 625

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Powermax 85 Replacing my Miller 625

Post by twicecustom »

My new Powermax 85 with machine torch came in this afternoon!! I unpacked it and gave it the once over, So tomorrow I will be hooking that up in place of my smaller Miller 625 extreme. I finally got the miller running the way I like, but need to be able to cut thicker materials faster. Hope tomorrow to be making sparks, I got a big job I need to get finished. Ill post an update after I get these 7 sheets of 3/8 and 2 sheets of 1/2 all cut up into tiny pieces.
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Benjiman
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Powermax 85

Post by WSS »

The 85 should eat it up. I hear it is a really nice machine.

Good luck, post some pics if you can.

WSS
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Thanks for buying the Powermax85! What type of machine are you putting it on? Is it a machine torch or a hand torch version?

Jim Colt Hypertherm

twicecustom wrote:My new Powermax 85 with machine torch came in this afternoon!! I unpacked it and gave it the once over, So tomorrow I will be hooking that up in place of my smaller Miller 625 extreme. I finally got the miller running the way I like, but need to be able to cut thicker materials faster. Hope tomorrow to be making sparks, I got a big job I need to get finished. Ill post an update after I get these 7 sheets of 3/8 and 2 sheets of 1/2 all cut up into tiny pieces.
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

Jim, I emailed you the other day about getting a 65 or 85, and you send some lit. I got the machine version, its going on my home build running mach3. Im about an hour from getting it going, had to rebuild my torch holder and get everything tied in, just finishing up the power, running 480 3ph. So tomorrow hopefully should be making cuts. I thought I would get it going today, but my previous plasma was running 220 1ph, and I didnt like the idea of 80 amps or so..
Benjiman
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Keep us posted. I've been running my Powermax85 on a 50 amp 220 single phase circuit for over a year.....but I rarely use it at more than 65 amps....have never tripped the breaker!

Jim Colt
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

Just got it fired up, just a lil fine tuning and Ill be in production mode again! I never had a problem with the little miller on 220, but the line was set up for 40 amps, I figured that might be stretching it a lil :D I have to redo my programs for kerf and speed difference, so I better get to work.
Benjiman
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

just got done cutting over 3000 inches with 85 pierces of 3/8 and 2500 inches with 120 pierces of 1/2.. This is a great cutting machine, never faulted out once, thought I better check the tip halfway through the 1/2 and it still looked amazing. I'm impressed, Super clean cuts, very little angle and no dross. For just hooking up and going without fine tuning, it has my recommendation for sure.

Ben
Benjiman
jbartley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jbartley »

The Powermax 85 has been great for cutting light gauge stuff too. I cut 20 guage up to 1/4 inch plate. It has done a great job with everything I have thrown at it so far. Glad your enjoying it. It is a beast of a machine.
Thank you caveman for wheel and fire.
jonn3y
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jonn3y »

I love my 85, I had the 45 but had to upgrade. I can literary draw into 1/4 and the cuts are awesome, before trying Hypertherm I had Thermal dynamics and ill never use them again. Thats now the "buddy cutter" in my shop my friends can wreck :lol: .

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”