Multiple parts with different numbers, help!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Multiple parts with different numbers, help!

Post by WSS »

Hey guys, I have a job in this week that will total about 2400 parts cut out of 3/16". They will be 8" x 18" with some plug weld holes and the kicker is that every three pieces will have a different serial number. What they will do is identify structural beam types and sizes and have a asset/serial number.

My question is what is a quick way to generate this type of file? I figure a 0 thru 9 number file to copy and paste to the working file and save again but, is there a quicker way? I generally use AutoCad but also have the lesser (and quicker for me) QuickCad (an early AC light). I do have CuttingShop too that works with fonts very nice but once everything is built, or I should say a template and a number library/files is built and ready, I wonder what would be the best way to tackle this? How do I use or paste an item excactly in the right spot each time? Am I on the right track?

ANY input is appreciated. Thanks!

Tom
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Multiple parts with different numbers, help!

Post by vmax549 »

OK how are you going to mark the plates??? Scribe, engraver, laser, plasma ??????

You could use a sub routine to call a serial number routine that will increment each time it is run.

(;-) TP
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

TP, Plasma only. I am not using our new PlazPak w/mach3 yet. I will do this with our DynaTorch and we-cim. I do have a a post processor for DT in my older version of scam (non-TNG). It seems I have seen a action/macro for this somewhere just cannot recall it.

Thanks,
WSS
Last edited by WSS on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

SOrry I can't help you with the DynoTorch programming unless it uses a Gcode standard language that does subs.

(;-) TP
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Thanks, It is like a dialect of swahili. Actually I have done over 100 of them so far. It is taking about 30secs per drawing. I am in AC and have two drawings open, the first has 0 thru 9 "ready to cut", the second is the progression of the files (001,002,etc.). I control C the "number" needed and switch back to the sequential file and control V with a guide to snap too. then "save as" and just back space to change the one number and enter. I feel like a data entry clerk LOL

WSS
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

There is a keyboard macro program called macro express that can perform quite complex keyboard/mouse/system macros, which can be used inside any program. I can't imagine a scenario where that won't work, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do what needs to be done in the framework of the program's macro language. It's really a very powerful tool. I use it a lot.

autocad (and corel draw) has very powerful automation capability, I haven't used autocad in a long time, I used to be an autolisp programmer, it would be possible to automate that process, but within the week might be rushing it.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Gary, Macro express sounds like something we could use over here. As you said, a week to get used to the controls is to soon. We ran over 80k lines of code today. As a Autolisp'er you know what that means LOL (I had to google it). Apple has a program named "Automater" that will do tasks something like the Macro Express. Too bad my cad and cam is not Mac!!! I was going to wait until this project was over to checkout ME but I may have to jump right in. The sales rep told me today that this is only 25% of the parts to cut. ME is about 60 bucks, which is cheap enough to try. macros.com has plenty of self help tutorials and videos to speed it up.

Thanks!
WSS

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”