Idea for forum

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Idea for forum

Post by 2strokeforever »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:53 pm Given your desire for an organized site with an indexed file library, it sounds like a business opportunity! You could find some talented website designer and tell him (or her) what you want. I see a category list that opens to LARGE and VISIBLE thumbnails of the files, and making each of them available in .dxf, .svg, and other popular formats. Perhaps an annual membership fee to cover the costs? If the library is large enough, and EASY enough to find what you want, I'd join!

Joe
I'd guess the people like me are over half of the cnc plasma community.

That being said us grease monkeys are generally busy, hate computers, and in a rush to get the job done.

For example if I needed an excavator bucket eye right now I would spend 5 munutes looking in the part of the internet that has that kind of stuff (there isn't one currently).

After being unable to find one close enough I would go to my local shop and have them design one and pass the bill onto the customer. I'm happy, customer is happy, I'm onto the next customer, and in my spare time I slowly learn how to draw what I need on a cad program.

I don't share any of my new designs because I never had anything (that I see as useful) shared with me, and the only place to share it is with artsy types that don't want to see it and it's instantly buried so the peolle that would want to see it cant.

I guess the real problem is there is zero overlap in grease monkeys and people who want to build a forum.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

2strokeforever wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:38 pm
you would also have access to the library of files (as I have shown with my screen shots).
Not a single one of your screenshots has been visible to me so far...

I already paid and figure if the file sharing is as bad as it looks no big deal as I already got a lot of value from the rest of the forum.
It generally takes about 24 hours for a new membership to become active. Admin should be sending you a welcome email along with your choice of some free files to download. Also - if you really have a lot of free time on your hands right now, this might be a good time to start looking at learning one of the drawing programs so you can at least draw basic shapes and possibly edit an existing dxf or svg file to customize it -something like adding names, etc.

Many members here use Inkscape - it is a free download and pretty easy to learn to do basic drawing and editing. There is also a separate Inkscape section at this forum with lots of tips, questions answered, etc.

I personally use and prefer Inkscape version 1.2.2
Here is the download page link.

https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.2.2/

Fusion 360 is another fun program and will do it all with a single program - draw, create cut paths, and create your g-code for cutting your part. There is a free version of Fusion 360 for hobbyists that is the one I use.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Langmuir offers some great Fusion 360 tutorials geared towards cnc plasma cutting.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion

There is a Fusion 360 section at this forum as well.

If you do decide to start out with either of these, let us know if you have questions and we will help you.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

2strokeforever wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:11 pm
For example if I needed an excavator bucket eye right now I would spend 5 munutes looking in the part of the internet that has that kind of stuff (there isn't one currently).

After being unable to find one close enough I would go to my local shop and have them design one and pass the bill onto the customer. I'm happy, customer is happy, I'm onto the next customer, and in my spare time I slowly learn how to draw what I need on a cad program.
I didn't know exactly what an excavetor bucket eye was - so I did a quick search and came up with this.
lifting bucket eye 1.jpg
Once I know what it looks like, then I can take a screen shot to import to Inkscape. From there, it is simple enough to draw something close.
lifting bucket eye inkscape.jpg
The one I drew is not to scale, but just to show what it would look like.

This could also be drawn using Fusion 360. They have a very easy to use drawing tool, and once drawn, it can be extruded so you can see what it would look like. It can be exported from Fusion 360 as dxf for import to your cam program (SheetCam or whatever you use).
lifting bucket eye Fusion 360.jpg
David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

2strokeforever - what kind of table do you have, and what cad software do you have available to use? I think you mentioned that you are slowly learning how to draw your own parts. I do remember you asking some questions about a Powermax 65 you were considering buying. Perhaps you might share a few photos of your shop setup so we can see what you are working with and what sorts of mechanical parts you are making.

By the way, I happen to be a "grease monkey" and love to work with computers. Same for Tom and some of the other members. Artsy stuff and mechanical parts are not necessarily mutually exclusive for many of us.

David
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Right now I have an arcdroid since I don't have a lot of room and want to be able to take it with me when I work in the field.

I have a 45xp, ended up getting the powermax 65 running, and have a oxy fuel head and tips up to #8

As for software I have been playing with qcad since I heard it was the simplest to use.
I will also look into inkscape soon as I'm able to sit in a position to use a computer.

Here is the excavator eye I was talking about. The only ones on the internet are for tiny excavators.
20220122_153430.jpg

Most of my work is done from my service truck, otherwise I just set the arcdroid on the bench and clamp 2 fingers to the bottom of the bench and rest my material on them.
IMG_20220315_145713.jpg
IMG_20220315_145713.jpg
20220122_153421.jpg
20241008_133400.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You've got a great looking rig there! It looks like you are really setup for servicing heavy equipment. How thick is that lifting eye you cut? It looks pretty thick, and I was thinking maybe you cut it with your oxy torch and not plasma. Do you run your oxy torch on the arcdroid?

I've always been fascinated with those arcdroid machines - they look very handy for portable work and a lot of bang for the buck.

I don't know much about them. Once you have your dxf file, what program do you use to convert it to cut paths and generate your g-code for the arcdroid controller? I have seen discussions about arcdroid users using Fusion 360 as well as SheetCam. I know there is a QCad cam program for converting dxf to cut paths, but have never used it.

I do have QCad - and tried it out to draw something similar to your photo.

David
bucket eye bracket from QCad.jpg

2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Lifting eye is 1 1/4, local shop plasma cut it since I wasn't setup for it at the time.

I have only messed with the arcdroid a few days, the onboard software easily and quickly converts dxf to gcode using a menu on the arcdroid screen. (At least for simple stuff)

The ability to quickly make a point, shape, or pattern with the included stylus is really nice too.

Haven't used the oxy fuel torch yet, but see no reason it wouldn't be great as long as there is some airflow keeping everything from getting too hot.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That's pretty slick that it can directly convert dxf to cut paths/g-code. I suppose it has a usb port for a thumb drive. That's how I move files from my office out to the machine shop for plasma cutting, wood routing, cnc machining, etc. Back in the old days I was copying onto flop discs to move files.
It took me a little bit of messing around to draw those brackets with QCad. Same for Inkscape - it always takes some time.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This is what the cut paths look like when I imported the QCad dxf file to SheetCam.
lift eye brackets sheetcam.jpg

caretech
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by caretech »

Jumping back to the original topic, I could see value in separating the art from the other stuff -- tools, organizers, car parts, etc. I don't say this lightly though, as someone would need to do a lot of repetitive and boring work to make this happen. I currently have zero time to volunteer to the cause.
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

The easy option is make some categories under the sharing section and use them going forward.

Even if the old stuff dosent get sorted that's better than continuing to lump it all together.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I wish I knew talented coders who don't want a king's ransom for their time. I would love to create a REAL font identification program that actually works. I know HOW it should work, but I am not a coder.

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

2strokeforever wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:27 am The easy option is make some categories under the sharing section and use them going forward.

Even if the old stuff dosent get sorted that's better than continuing to lump it all together.
Categorizing of all the designs since 2009 has begun a few months back. It will take some time to complete, but it is well under way and no designs moving forward since we started this feature will be lost is the shuffle. All NEW designs are categorized right away, and we are also working from the oldest to the newest each day. At some point we will meet in the middle and the task will be complete. This categorized forum is available to Elite Contributing Members and there is no cost to becoming an Elite CM. Members are selected to be added to this group based on their participation. For example if you share a design (sticking to the file sharing rules here https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=15315 so we don't step on any toes or get into trouble) or assist members with solving issues they have posted about, etc you will be eligible for the Elite CM group. We review each account for participation upon your standard $20 Contributing Membership renewal, and also do random account reviews daily. We hope that this beneficial feature will entice more members to become active, share their knowledge, share designs, and help to build this community. Let us know if you have any questions.
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

:Like :Like :Like :Yay :Like :Like
Thanks for your time
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 11:20 am :Like :Like :Like :Yay :Like :Like
Thanks for your time
My pleasure :Yay Thank you :Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I do not know how the search function works. Does it use keywords, or tokens ... or?

For example, the photo below might have keywords like

boy, pond, dock, fishing, lake, child, bait, fish

A search for any of those words would return the photo.

Joe
BOY FISHING.jpg

Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
BrayD
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrayD »

I, too, am mostly a shop fab guy. My $.02 on this topic - I can design and cut what I need quicker than I can search a database for something that's already out there. Almost everything in that world is one-off, so I may as well just design what I need from that start. Same story for sharing my parts. I don't see much value in uploading a bracket that I made to fit my unique application.

That said, there is software that makes the process a lot easier. BendTech is my go-to manufacturing software for tube bending and simple mechanical brackets / tabs. They even have a module that lets you enter dimensions for a pre-defined bracket shape. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Regarding fabricated tools, most of those have commercial value and if someone has the means to design and build it, they're likely marketing it and selling it as well. My mind goes to SWAG Offroad's portaband tables, tube roller frames, etc.

Here's a link to BendTech's tab module for reference. I just used it last night to make a couple simple tabs to mount a keel roller to a boat trailer.

https://youtu.be/mB48ayUt3lk?feature=shared
TM2 Torchmate 5x10
Red Display AVHC
ZEKS Refrigerated Dryer
Motor Guard Filter
Miller Spectrum 2050
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pspider Support wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 11:11 am
2strokeforever wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:27 am The easy option is make some categories under the sharing section and use them going forward.

Categorizing of all the designs since 2009 has begun a few months back. It will take some time to complete, but it is well under way and no designs moving forward since we started this feature will be lost is the shuffle. All NEW designs are categorized right away, and we are also working from the oldest to the newest each day. At some point we will meet in the middle and the task will be complete. This categorized forum is available to Elite Contributing Members and there is no cost to becoming an Elite CM. Members are selected to be added to this group based on their participation. For example if you share a design (sticking to the file sharing rules here https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=15315 so we don't step on any toes or get into trouble) or assist members with solving issues they have posted about, etc you will be eligible for the Elite CM group. We review each account for participation upon your standard $20 Contributing Membership renewal, and also do random account reviews daily. We hope that this beneficial feature will entice more members to become active, share their knowledge, share designs, and help to build this community. Let us know if you have any questions.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well I have a different view on what you may produce as "one off" may be interesting to others. Something may light a fire to another's need or want. There is a large varied group here from all over. May not be exactly what someone wanted but may foster an idea, or influence them to try to adapt it to fit their project. I cost nothing to post, you may get a Thanks in return.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
BrayD

Post by BrayD »

For sure, but the OP is in the industry looking for parts to make their workflow more efficient. By far the best return on investment is to learn the software so they can make what they need rather than searching online or driving to a shop and paying someone else to do it.

I'm all for more organization and shared files. Just trying to provide encouragement to build some design skills.

These are the simple parts that I made this week. A couple long tabs to mount a removeable hand winch and a couple smaller tabs to mount a roller. These are made with 3 or 4 measurements. No hand sketching required, just throwing pick points into BendTech with a tape measure in my other hand. Perhaps someone could use these for their project, but having the overall dims, hole size, and hole spacing be exactly what they need seems rare. Quicker to design from scratch than search for a tab and modify what someone has already done (in my opinion).
IMG_8770.JPEG

TM2 Torchmate 5x10
Red Display AVHC
ZEKS Refrigerated Dryer
Motor Guard Filter
Miller Spectrum 2050
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 9:47 pm Well I have a different view on what you may produce as "one off" may be interesting to others. Something may light a fire to another's need or want. There is a large varied group here from all over. May not be exactly what someone wanted but may foster an idea, or influence them to try to adapt it to fit their project. I cost nothing to post, you may get a Thanks in return.
:Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BrayD wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 10:55 pm For sure, but the OP is in the industry looking for parts to make their workflow more efficient. By far the best return on investment is to learn the software so they can make what they need rather than searching online or driving to a shop and paying someone else to do it.

I'm all for more organization and shared files. Just trying to provide encouragement to build some design skills.

These are the simple parts that I made this week. A couple long tabs to mount a removeable hand winch and a couple smaller tabs to mount a roller. These are made with 3 or 4 measurements. No hand sketching required, just throwing pick points into BendTech with a tape measure in my other hand. Perhaps someone could use these for their project, but having the overall dims, hole size, and hole spacing be exactly what they need seems rare. Quicker to design from scratch than search for a tab and modify what someone has already done (in my opinion).
IMG_8770.JPEG
BrayD - I am not familiar with the BendTech software. Perhaps you could show some screen shots of your process of "throwing pick points into BendTech so we can see exactly how it works.

Thanks,
David
hardworker
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by hardworker »

sounds like you should check out the Grab cad site. its free to join and tons of 3d models all mechanical/ industrial/ construction. check it out i think its right up your alley.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

hardworker wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 1:26 pm sounds like you should check out the Grab cad site. its free to join and tons of 3d models all mechanical/ industrial/ construction. check it out i think its right up your alley.
Hardworker - thanks for that tip! I have used grabcad before and it is mostly solid models - which is great for us folks using Fusion 360 or similar and a working knowledge of editing 3D files. For the OP - he has limited drawing/editing capability (I think he was starting to learn QCad) so probably not much use for him - except for any of them that have the dxf files. But thanks for your suggestion.

David
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

Im with Brayd, same boat here, like I couldnt care less if you all had access to my thousands of files, but 99 percent are one off jobs, brackets, repair parts, things that would be absolutely useless to anyone again. Takes so little time to draw something you just do it and forget about it. I pretty much quit artsy stuff because it takes to much time and isn't worth the fiddling around, at least for me. But I if we would make an industrial forum I could post some industrial things, like excavator bucket mounts, 359 peterbilt hood panel, Etc. But it seems like a waste of time to post things like that on on artsy site.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”