6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape for G-Code creation

Post by adbuch »

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Creative25 - I just came across these Inkscape g-code videos and thought you might be interested.

David
Creative25
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Creative25 »

Thanks for all these videos.
Generating Gcode on Inkscape works for me. As long as I don’t use the prepare for plasma function.
But it is with adding lead ins where I don’t get it to work.

Question if you ar cutting arts with plasma do you add lead ins ?
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Lead ins are always a good thing to prevent the pierce spot on the edge of your finished part but I suppose on some art type stuff it would not really matter.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Creative25 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:17 pm I have been trying this. Somehow it creates the lead ins on the outside of the holes. How do I tell geode tools to cut on the inside?
I wonder if this is the case, and hopefully I can explain this where it makes sense.

Below we have what looks to be similar designs.

Objects.png

On the left we have 2 objects, a circle and a square, I would expect some software would see these as 2 individual objects and add a lead in to the outside of each not knowing we want the lead in on the inside of the circle.

On the right we have what looks like 2 objects, a circle and a square, however it is only 1 object because the circle has been trimmed our cut out of the square. It is still 2 cuts but the software will be able to determine that the circle on the inside is to be cut out of the square so the lead in would be placed on the inside of the circle.

Using Fills as I have done above in black will help you to distinguish whether or not the center interior objects have been cut out of the outer profile or not. If this was in wireframe you have no visual way of determining this.

This may not be your lead in issue but I have seen this before so its worth bringing up.
Creative25
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Creative25 »

I have been doing this with subtracting circles. I had some success at random.
But the weird thing it put a lead in on the inside of the square.

I just think if I import a dxf file from Freecad sketcher it is supposed to work without modifications.

I think for now I just use viaconstructor.
I can give Inkscape a try next time I do letters.
Creative25
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Creative25 »

Creative25 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:46 am Thanks.
There is a custom postprocessor on the linixcnc forum.
Strange that it is not provided by Fusion 360.
I will post agai about how it works.

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/3843 ... ors#159042
Unfortunately Fusion 360
Is a bit disappointing for me.
I can create Gcode without an Internet connection.

But I can not open my project witoit an Internet connection.
I like how much control you have for creating Gcode.

Unfortunately the Postprocessor for plasmac is experimental as stated by the person who created it says.
The geode I got is giving me lots of errors.
Looks like it still needs a lot of work.

However Fusion 360 has a native post processor that creates Gcode for routers on linuxcnc.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:18 am Lead ins are always a good thing to prevent the pierce spot on the edge of your finished part but I suppose on some art type stuff it would not really matter.
In this case, if the lead-ins are on the wrong side the cut path is also on the wrong side - so it is cutting going the wrong direction and to the incorrect size for the finished part. I have tried a circle in a square as both discrete paths and as a single differenced object and had the same result. The closest I had to success was using Inkscape 0.92 - the lead-ins and lead-outs are on the correct side, but it is still cutting in the wrong direction for the inner circle.

David
Last edited by adbuch on Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:32 am
Creative25 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:17 pm I have been trying this. Somehow it creates the lead ins on the outside of the holes. How do I tell geode tools to cut on the inside?
I wonder if this is the case, and hopefully I can explain this where it makes sense.

Below we have what looks to be similar designs.

Objects.png

On the left we have 2 objects, a circle and a square, I would expect some software would see these as 2 individual objects and add a lead in to the outside of each not knowing we want the lead in on the inside of the circle.

On the right we have what looks like 2 objects, a circle and a square, however it is only 1 object because the circle has been trimmed our cut out of the square. It is still 2 cuts but the software will be able to determine that the circle on the inside is to be cut out of the square so the lead in would be placed on the inside of the circle.

Using Fills as I have done above in black will help you to distinguish whether or not the center interior objects have been cut out of the outer profile or not. If this was in wireframe you have no visual way of determining this.

This may not be your lead in issue but I have seen this before so its worth bringing up.
I have tried to generate the g-code using Inkscape (Creative25's file) and had the same problem. Apparently the current Inkscape g-code extension has problems and does not work the same as the one I used in an older Inkscape version when I first posted this demo.

David

Return to “Inkscape”