Powermax 65 torch plug pinout

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 65 torch plug pinout

Post by 2strokeforever »

Hello, I am looking at buying a powermax 65 that is missing a torch. Before buying a torch I want to confirm it works.
Looking at the service manual it shows the same wiring pinout as the 45xp, so naturally I ground down the plastic that prevents the 45 torch from going in the 65 receptacle just to test it.

With the 45xp torch plugged in it still gives the 0-52 code for no torch.

Can anyone with the 65 hand torch let me know how many pins are in the torch plug, I suspect it might need more hooked up than the 5 pins of the 45xp?

I don't want to buy a torch until I see the machine cut.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Powermax 65 torch plug pinout

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Here you go.

Hand with 6 pins:

Torch, Hand 6 Pin.jpg

Machine with 7 pins:

Torch, Machine 7 Pins.jpg

When testing with machine torch, pins 3 & 4 on the back CPC connector must be jumped to get torch to fire.

When you have the system in use keep an eye on the O-ring at the end of the brass center piece:

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... ng#p224740
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Thanks, I am mostly interested in the hand torch since I don't have the cpc kit yet.

On the first image the furthest clockwise pin is missing from the 45xp torch and is why it's throwing a code.

Any chance you could measure resistance between the farthest pin counterclockwise and the 3 pins near the bottom? I suspect they are connected or a specific resistance value, but don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for all the help
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

For clarification, there are 13 holes for the pins starting at top with the alignment tab a clockwise count on the pins:

Using my "Quality H F Meter" yeah that's an oxymoron I know :HaHa

On the 200 ohm selection:

Pin Nos:
12 : 5 = 2.0
12 : 6 = Open
12 : 7 = 1.0

I also noticed pin 7 on both plugs were shorter than the rest, I'm assuming it a power supply and they want the rest of the plugs inserted before a power feed to the torch..

When I bought my 105 used I pulled the cover and did a visual on the circuit board as the seller no longer had 3 ph. at his shop (his reason for selling it) so a torch fire was out of the question.

Anything else?
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Thanks so much, you saved me a few grey hairs.

If you hook up pin 11 to pin 7 that makes the machine recognize the torch as 85 amps.

Hooking pin 12 to pin 7 makes it see a 105a torch.

I will try and find the official connector pin to make the 45a torch look like a 85a.
I won't run more than 45a, but it will allow me to buy a machine torch and use my existing 45a torch for the bit of hand cutting I do without having to fish the 45xp out of the service truck and have it cluttering my work area.

Thanks for the oring tip, ordered 100 of each
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Is this the new sync design or an older non sync 65?

Hand / machine combo is a must it allows you to cut parts then use the hand to harvest the skeletons
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

I have the 45xp and 2020 era non sync powermax 65
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I thought as much, the pin pairing for different amps out is confusing. I know with a serial interface you can change the amperage at the console. this is a new one to me. The hand / machine torch combo I ordered with the 65 (2x2 table). It gets used on the 105 (6x12 table) depending on the job of the day. Keep your eyes on Ebay of your local Craig's list for parts.
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

I think these are the pins that go in the torch for anyone that wants to try and do this mod. I will report back when they arrive and confirm.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... -9/1148386

I guess I need to confirm the 45xp dosent have issues with a 85a torch connected, but it shouldnt hopefully
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

2strokeforever wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:49 am I think these are the pins that go in the torch for anyone that wants to try and do this mod. I will report back when they arrive and confirm.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... -9/1148386

I guess I need to confirm the 45xp dosent have issues with a 85a torch connected, but it shouldnt hopefully
I am currently running the torch from my Hypertherm 85 on my 45xp and it works fine. The torch from my 45xp will not plug into my 85 because of the tab on the connector. This is for safety reasons as otherwise someone would be sure to run a 45xp torch on a 65 or 85 at higher current than the 45xp torch is designed to handle. These are both Duramax machines, and not the newer sync versions.

David
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Grinding the tab and hooking up pin 7 to 11 or 12 will allow it to work. (Just tested it)
And I'm sure overcurrenting it too much would fry it.

I am the only one using it so it's not an issue.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

What you said was:

"I guess I need to confirm the 45xp dosent have issues with a 85a torch connected, but it shouldnt hopefully"

I answered that question. If you are going the other way around, then yes - you could possibly end up damaging both the torch and the plasma cutter.

David
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

All Hypertherm plasmas have service manuals and there are block schematics with pinouts of the Torch connector and the CPC ports. There are different kinds of torches on different models so the pinouts may not be the same. A Plasma system with no torch is a big unknown. The value is greatly diminished because there is no way to confirm that it will actually fire and cut .
jteller07@hotmail.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jteller07@hotmail.com »

The current carrying wire in the PMX 45 or 45XP lead are a smaller gauge which is why the torches have the guides to prevent them from being plugged into the larger machines. I would highly recommend not using the torch from a 45 on your PMX65.
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

I understand that, it's easy for me to turn the amperage down to 45a when using it.

Part of me wants to burn out the horrendously stiff hypertherm cable and replace it with something like a CK superflex tig cable anyways.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I'm not sure on the 45 but the 105 vs the 65/85 has a larger work lead socket/connector and larger gauge of cable as well.
jteller07@hotmail.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jteller07@hotmail.com »

Yes, each machine ships with a lead that's wires are sized for that machine and have keyways and different pinouts to prevent them from being used on the incorrect machine and causing injury or damage. All torches purchased outside of a bundle package are technically a 105A torch that will work on a PMX105 all the way down to a PMX45 or 45XP. The 45XP lock torch and/or T45v are the exception and only work on the 45A machines. Not that it's matters for this discussion, but all of the SYNC machines use the same SYNC torches from 45A - 105A.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”