Idea for forum

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Idea for forum

Post by 2strokeforever »

I was thinking it might be convenient to have separate categories for the signs/artsy stuff and the more industrial/practical? stuff

I have no idea if I am an outlier, but I have no interest in the artsy stuff and its real tedious to go thru 10 pages to find a single post about a welding bottle rack or maybe something that is part of a tractor attachment ect.

Not sure what the ratio of artsy people vs grease monkeys like me is and whether it would be worth changing anything for it?

I dont want to come off as telling everyone how it should be.
Just wanted to float the idea in case someone in charge deems it to be worthwhile.

Feel free to delete this once whoever needs to see it has seen it.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Idea for forum

Post by abmetal »

Have you looked for what you're wanting using the search window in the upper right hand corner of the page? Just wondering. I know it sometimes gets frustrating looking for something that I KNOW I've seen in the past.

Allen
mrgruenes
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mrgruenes »

Yes!!!!! I really like the practical functional stuff and stuff I can use, it sucks trying to filter through the artsy stuff
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

For Elite Contributing members. Fast, easy viewing & downloading of DXF/SVG files in the file sharing forum above. Files are categorized with a 3D sample image. Pick your category, find a design, & download the file. I believe that Admin said this file sharing library is and will be available for those contributing members who have shown a willingness to contribute to the forum by helping others, sharing files, etc.

David
drawing library.jpg
drawing library 1.jpg
drawing library 2.jpg
drawing library 3.jpg
drawing library 4.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Until then - you can use the search function to look for specific file. For example - lets say I want to find a file to build a paint spray gun stand for my gravity feed automotive spray gun. I enter the search terms into the search box at the upper right corner.
search result 1.jpg
search result 2.jpg
search result 3.jpg
PaintStand1.jpg
PaintStand2.jpg

2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

I guess part of what is getting me jammed up is that I'm not looking for anything in particular.
I'm looking for ideas of things to build, anything and everything that isn't art or a sign...

I like the idea of the file sharing thing, but from what I can gather paying isn't going to make me any more able to filter thru the artsy stuff effectively.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also - unless you are a contributing member, you will not be able to download any of the vector files (dxf, svg, etc.). You could probably get some ideas by looking around on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/market/plasma_projects
etsy project ideas.jpg
If you want to get real ambitious and have some fun, maybe try looking at a photo of something you would like to build and try drawing the parts from scratch using one of your favorite cad drawing programs. Many here use Inkscape or Fusion 360 - both are free to download and use. If you decide to go this route, let us know if you have any particular questions as you progress with your design and we are here to help.

David

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you are looking for art type files on Etsy you may also look at laser or router cut files with a filter of DXF/SVG.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1655408682 ... ch_click=1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1504624343 ... ch_click=1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/999069031/ ... ch_click=1
they also have many monogram type files at fair prices.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

The issue is I don't and can't (due to the sheer volume) want to filter thru the absoulte endless flow of artsy stuff.
Trying to find something that isn't art, a sign, or a decorative firepit is near impossible.

I want somewhere I can pay to access (and share) practical/ mechanical/ industrial/ tool drawings.
This forum does not currently offer that.

There is nothing like that on the internet and I think there is lots of demand by people who are happy to pay.

Of course I will start learning how to make my own files, but as of now I am not able, and when I am able there is nowhere to share them as they will be burried under a mountain of artsy stuff.

It's like having a motorcycle forum that dosent have seperate categories for Harleys, motocross and moto gp bikes.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

2strokeforever wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:09 pm The issue is I don't and can't (due to the sheer volume) want to filter thru the absoulte endless flow of artsy stuff.
Trying to find something that isn't art, a sign, or a decorative firepit is near impossible.

I want somewhere I can pay to access (and share) practical/ mechanical/ industrial/ tool drawings.
This forum does not currently offer that.

There is nothing like that on the internet and I think there is lots of demand by people who are happy to pay.

Of course I will start learning how to make my own files, but as of now I am not able, and when I am able there is nowhere to share them as they will be burried under a mountain of artsy stuff.

It's like having a motorcycle forum that dosent have seperate categories for Harleys, motocross and moto gp bikes.
Langmuir has may free files you can download and cut. Not all of them are yard art.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/fireshare
free files 1.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

free files 1.jpg

Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

It would take some TIME to do it, but perhaps the files could be renamed ...

a-(filename).dxf = Art File

i-(filename).dxf = Industrial File

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

What about a whole new subsection in the forum for industrial? Or keep a link up top in the with the announcements so it's all together .

It would nice to go to file sharing, then have the option artsy, or industrial/practical, that way we still get the full functionality of the forum, rather than the option of searching for a prefix and having to work backwards thru the search function to find the post
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

If we can have seperate forum categories for every brand of plasma cutter it makes sense to have seperate forums for art and excavator final drive sprockets.

Different brand plasma cutters aren't that different, art and practical stuff are worlds apart.
ufi911
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ufi911 »

I'm really new here and couldn't agree more.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

2strokeforever wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:49 pm If we can have seperate forum categories for every brand of plasma cutter it makes sense to have seperate forums for art and excavator final drive sprockets.

Different brand plasma cutters aren't that different, art and practical stuff are worlds apart.
Steampunk coffee tables would use industrial gear designs for artsy table surfaces. Industrial saddles for wooden beams might require decorative drops out of the plates.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Steampunk coffee tables would use industrial gear designs for artsy table surfaces. Industrial saddles for wooden beams might require decorative drops out of the plates.

Joe
Anything art that uses an "industrial gear design" is 100 percent art still as the artist won't have made that gear fit anything useful.

99.9 percent of people making industrial stuff aren't going to have decorative stuff going on once they figure out the cost of steel and time.
Also 99.9 percent of us grease monkeys aren't going to want any foofy decorative stuff in the industrial section whether it has some practical use or not.

There is really 2 completely seperate categories with no grey area between them, they are currently mixed together.
2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

Part of the issue has got to be that there is 381 pages of stuff in this section.

You are going to need to draw the line somewhere and sort the artsy stuff too. Keeping it all in one big rats nest is going to slowly drive people to other places that are less inconvenient.

You could have subsections for
firepits, text only signs, picture only signs, 3d art, to name just a few.

What worked for 200 posts dosent work for 10k posts
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

There are already subsections for many of the categories you mention.
Let me know when you become a Contributing Member so that you would actually be able to download any of these files - and I will be more than happy to help you find whatever you are looking for.

David
firepits 1.jpg
firepits 2.jpg
firepits 3.jpg

2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

I guess I'll give it a go, from what I can see not being a member it looks like a rats nest.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

2strokeforever wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:02 pm I guess I'll give it a go, from what I can see not being a member it looks like a rats nest.
I am 66 now. In my younger days ... you know ... back when I knew everything ... :lol: I moved from job to job, because I had trouble working with a bunch of morons who didn't know HOW to run their businesses. It didn't take me long after my first day of work, to point out all of the things they were doing wrong!

I am 66 now.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

I am 66 now. In my younger days ... you know ... back when I knew everything ... :lol: I moved from job to job, because I had trouble working with a bunch of morons who didn't know HOW to run their businesses. It didn't take me long after my first day of work, to point out all of the things they were doing wrong!

Joe
That's not me at all.
I am a member of about 20 forums, this is the first time I have ever thought that things weren't grouped reasonably well and pointed it out.

Perhaps the grease monkeys like me show up and quietly leave since they can't find anything they are looking for, leaving only the artsy types behind thinking they are the only type of people that own cnc plasma tables?

Honestly that's probably what I would be doing except I broke my leg and have nothing but time.

Maybe once the paid membership becomes active it will be wonderfully organized and convenient to use, but the unpaid side does not give that impression.

I will let everyone know what it looks like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

2strokeforever wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:02 pm I guess I'll give it a go, from what I can see not being a member it looks like a rats nest.
Before you become a contributing member (pay your 20 bucks) I would recommend you pm Admin and ask specifically if in addition to having the ability to download files, you would also have access to the library of files (as I have shown with my screen shots). I know that the library of files is currently under construction and was only accessible to a select group of members. Perhaps that has changed - Justin will know for sure.

David

Here is the link to the page to contact Admin.
https://www.plasmaspider.com/memberlist ... rofile&u=2
pm.jpg

2strokeforever
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 2strokeforever »

you would also have access to the library of files (as I have shown with my screen shots).
Not a single one of your screenshots has been visible to me so far...

I already paid and figure if the file sharing is as bad as it looks no big deal as I already got a lot of value from the rest of the forum.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Given your desire for an organized site with an indexed file library, it sounds like a business opportunity! You could find some talented website designer and tell him (or her) what you want. I see a category list that opens to LARGE and VISIBLE thumbnails of the files, and making each of them available in .dxf, .svg, and other popular formats. Perhaps an annual membership fee to cover the costs? If the library is large enough, and EASY enough to find what you want, I'd join!

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”