Cut Height Problem

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
Patriot Steel
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cut Height Problem

Post by Patriot Steel »

Hi Guy's
I've been getting some bad and incomplete cuts lately Hypertherm 45 amp sync cartridge 3/16" plate 45 amps cut height didn't look right in my cut file i have it set at book settings .125 so with the plasma off I ran the program again and then stopped it and measured the height and it at .140 I use sheet Cam what am i missing did something change and how do i fix this.
Thanks Dean
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut Height Problem

Post by adbuch »

It sounds like you need to calibrate your Crossfire Pro THC so that your torch is zeroed to the material surface. If you set it to 0.125" in SheetCam and it is cutting at 0.140" - then either calibrate your THC or subtract the difference of 0.015" to the cut height value you input to SheetCam.
I would hope that the Langmuir manual for their THC would tell you how to calibrate it. My table is a Plasmacam, so I am not familiar with the Langmuir system.

Have you reached out to Langmuir tech support?

David
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Slop in the lifter among other things can cause the actual torch height to be different from what you set it to. AS David said most systems have a way to compensate for this, almost like backlash compensation on a lathe or mill. If there is no way to calibrate it then as David said just fudge the number in Sheetcam so you get the correct height.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

That method of touch off does it use? Ohmic? Mechanical? you can get a variance between where the software thinks zero is and where the touch off (IHS) found it. Usually there is a way to put in an offset amount to compensate for that error
Instead of stopping in the cut, stop it right after it moves to cut height (.125) form pierce height ans see where it is then

Also if the THC is on it adjusts to voltage not the arc gap. So .140 over .125 may be a THC voltage setting you need to address. Usually each volt is about .005 " of vertical lift. Do to lower it to .125 under THC subtract 3 volts from the target voltage.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom offers some great advise here! I will look forward to seeing if you can successfully resolve your problem.
David

Return to “Langmuir Crossfire Forum”