Multicam V Series Control Software

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
NECHEVYGUY
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Multicam V Series Control Software

Post by NECHEVYGUY »

Long time lurker and first time poster.

I recently bought a 2015 4x8 V series table that came out of a community college. They wouldn’t give me the computer with it, which I knew when I bought it.

I have the table hooked up and running great with my Powermax 65 and can cut simple shapes using the pendant, but I’m curious what I need as a control software on the computer to run files on this machine. I currently have Cad and sheetcam but am a little in the dark as to what else I’m needing. I called multicam and they wanted me to setup as a new customer before they’d even talk to me.

Any input on this? I have Mach 3 for another table but I’m assuming this won’t work on the multicam. I really don’t want to retro fit any other electronics as this setup seems to be working really nice.

I’d appreciate any help I can get!
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Multicam V Series Control Software

Post by weldguy »

I am not sure what Multicam uses for control software, I thought it was custom version of Flashcut CNC. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm. Flashcut has a banner ad here in the top right corner, give it a click and give them a call, maybe they can get you pointed in the right direction.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Virtually everything on a MultiCAm is proprietary. I am sure they would be happy to sell you a copy that would run that table.
Won't be cheap but hey, you ruled out any change of hardware so it limits your choices.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Thanks Tom, was not aware it was proprietary. In that case I would find out what the Multicam software costs and compare that to what it would cost to do a retrofit to C&CNC electronics and possibly get away from proprietary hardware/software.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

MultiCam has been in business for many years and originally focused on high end router tables . The did their own controller designs (in defense, back when they started, there were not a lot of software and controller options) They got into the plasma table market later on . They built some big heavy duty tables and stayed in the higher end commercial market.
Converting a Multicam table over is not a simple replacement of the controller and software. If its a stepper its possible to use the existing motors and to use the existing table sensors but not a project for a first time builder . Lots of head scratching. If its servo its a totally redesign and using what is there and buying their software may be the only viable option.

A now defunct table vendor (there have been a LOT of those over 20 years) EZCut used the MultiCAM controls and software .

In some circumstances a used table value is greatly diminished by not having the software or if its not fully functional. On some systems software is a major expense . I always advise potential buyers to consider if a used table is worth he raw parts less the electronics. Hopefully the buyer got a good enough deal they can consider either buying the software or replacing the controls and software with something more cost effective and that has support.
NECHEVYGUY
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by NECHEVYGUY »

Thanks to the input fellas.

Tom, it’s far from my first cnc experience, I’ve had a table running your blade runner software for 10-12 years now, and I have a plasmacam as well as this multicam.

I did end up sourcing the software. The table runs Suite 4 and it was free. I had to get in contact with a multicam vendor that was extremely helpful and i got all the answers i needed.

My main reason for not wanting to retrofit was simply cost. I like seeing what I can do for cheap. I had a feeling I could come up with come software and I was right. Nothing personal.

This machine is in good shape and as of right now I’m sub $1k into this not including the cutter and computer that I already had. I’ve got a few bugs to work out but I’ll get there.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Newchevyguy - happy to hear you're up and cutting!!
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That's awesome, glad you were able to find the software. Sounds like a heck of a deal for that table!
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Some Vendors are touchy about their software and you need dongles and licenses. It's good you wee able to find the control software and hopefully it can use standard G-code or a version you can get . As I have always said ifs it's where you want/need a machine to make you money or its the challenge of taking something someone else has abandoned and making it run then its a noble quest. For some its the journey and for others its the destination. Either way its important to understand where the land mines are buried!

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”