CAD file organization questions

General software related questions should be posted here.
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

CAD file organization questions

Post by jlasater »

Is there an "industry" standard for CAD file organization that includes file changes? I'm a hobbyist at this point and don't have a document management system per se, and have just been adding "rev1", "rev2", etc to the name of files when I make significant changes to a given file.

How do you guys do it and keep things organized?
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CAD file organization questions

Post by Joe Jones »

You MUST develop a system or you will end up with thousands of files that will make it impossible to find anything.

I use dates … (file name 08-30-24 .dxf) to show me the last version. NAME the file so you can find it. Don’t name a file “Project 2”. Name it “Fishing Reel and Bass on line” or whatever.

Use folders for your clients. A separate folder for every client. Set up a DXF VIEWER on your PC so you can bring up a window of THUMBNAILS that let you SEE what is in the file.

Delete previous file versions whenever possible. BACKUP EVERYTHING.

I use an external USB drive for my design files so I can carry it with me. When I am on another PC, I can access any file on the portable drive.

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

In the past there was a software package the was to search and organize DFX files into a named folder, but it did not seem to do well. I do a similar method as you are using. Create folders for categories that make sense to you, I add a letter to the file name as I modify it (bird cut file-A. DFX) or I may add a date (bird cut file 2-13-24.DFX). If I have a project that has cut files I add a folder to the project folder ( grinder/DFX). This cuts down on the search time when looking for related files. I also group files in a related folder as to where I got them, so if asked where I got them from I can say (PS/downloaded) or (bought from ESTY).
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I just create folders with descriptive names for my various projects. Sometimes I use rev numbers, or -1, -2, etc.for the actual cad files. Since the folders show up in alphabetical order, it's usually pretty easy to find what I am after.
files.jpg
files.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
files.jpg
files.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

I'm just a hobby guy, so as long as I can find the files and/or information if and when I need it again, that's all that matters to me.
David
Last edited by adbuch on Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Different strokes for different folks, :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa The jester made me say that. :Sad
peek.JPG
peek.JPG (9.78 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
peek.JPG
peek.JPG (9.78 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - thanks for the information!!
David
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Good post, the way I do is to have customer folders with sub folders in those, save drawing files there.
I save the dxf files into one folder - named DXF every dxf goes into there, saved as example: - SP 10mm 20no sample job.dxf (SP= name initials)
Sort order of that folder newest top, also a must is dxf thumbnails, easy viewing of dxf files.

Sheetcam job files, most get saved to a folded called sheets, I found best way is to save them as 10 0810 that's 10 for the thickness 08 for day and 10 for month, and write that number on the sheet with a correction pen, then search sheets folder for 10 brings up the most recent 10mm sheet or pick the sheet number - win key 10 0810 and press enter opens the job file for that sheet.

I use mega cloud storage, the previous versions feature has saved me a good few times.

Right I better get cutting!!!

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9nqdd ... n-us&gl=us
Screenshot_1.png
dxf.png
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Good ideas here, my system is much like David's for random designs I wish to catagorize but I also have folders for each customer and inside those folders are other folders for each job for that customer. Works for me and pretty simple.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SeanP wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:17 am Good post, the way I do is to have customer folders with sub folders in those, save drawing files there.
I save the dxf files into one folder - named DXF every dxf goes into there, saved as example: - SP 10mm 20no sample job.dxf (SP= name initials)
Sort order of that folder newest top, also a must is dxf thumbnails, easy viewing of dxf files.

Sheetcam job files, most get saved to a folded called sheets, I found best way is to save them as 10 0810 that's 10 for the thickness 08 for day and 10 for month, and write that number on the sheet with a correction pen, then search sheets folder for 10 brings up the most recent 10mm sheet or pick the sheet number - win key 10 0810 and press enter opens the job file for that sheet.

I use mega cloud storage, the previous versions feature has saved me a good few times.

Right I better get cutting!!!

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9nqdd ... n-us&gl=us

Screenshot_1.png

dxf.png
SeanP - very well organized!! Thanks for showing us your system.

David

Return to “General Discussion”