Torchmate 4x4 growth series AVHC dead new controller?

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Tonybain42
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torchmate 4x4 growth series AVHC dead new controller?

Post by Tonybain42 »

Hello, I just got a growth series 4x4 table with a Thermal Dynamics A60 plasma. It has a machine torch and THC. I got it setup yesterday, minus a computer. The plasma powers up, the Compact CNC Controller "model 5501" appears to power up, the lights cycle, then the light on the right stays on. The AVHC does nothing. I opened it up and the internal converter is outputting 44VDC, but the screen never lights up or does anything. I'm new to these systems, So I don't know how to check if axis and THC motors work, I would guess they do. After reading several posts about how the AVHC (blue screen) is no longer available, how should I proceed. From other posts, I see flashcut and CandCnc offer controllers I could just replace what I have. I'm excited to get this up and running to start making things. I don't have the torchmate software, so i'm open to what ever works well.
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate 4x4 growth series AVHC dead new controller?

Post by weldguy »

Exciting stuff! I am not very familiar with Torchmate so I won't be much help there but I know that if I was in your situation I would try to get my hands on the software first off so I could try it as it sits, even without the THC. If the software option turns up nothing or becomes too costly I would certainly look into the Flashcut and C&CNC retrofits as you will be guaranteed success with either of those options. Interested to hear how your progress comes along with this so keep us posted.
Tonybain42
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Tonybain42 »

After talking to Torchmate they said it' it no longer available or supported, then talked to a electronics repair company that was on ebay that said they repaired them. They said average was 800 plus shipping both ways and a few weeks turnaround. Flashcut looked like a good option, but is expensive from what I can find. Then I found CandCNC.com and they offer a new complete controller with motors, THC, ohmic sensing and accepts the Mic-03 connection from the plasma for about 2k, I think I'm going to go that route.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I think I would consider having the existing unit repaired. I like the sound of $800 much better than several thousand dollars. If you only need to get it up and cutting. If you have lots of extra time to mess around with it, then I do expect you may have some fun doing the Candcnc upgrade. You don't need the TMCad software to run the table, as it only produces g-code which you would send to the Torchmate controller. You can accomplish the same thing using Inkscape/SheetCam or some other combination of CAD/CAM software. SheetCam has a selection of Torchmate post processors to produce g-code compatible with your Torchmate controller.

David
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

It normally does not just stop at the $800 for the THC repair. Then even if you do get it running you are left with sub-optimum performance and 1990's technology. I guess it depends on if it's to make money and be reliable or it's something to tinker with and try to bring back from the dead. A full retro does not need to be thousands . As I get older I have less time to mess with stuff that does not work . I have gotten to the point in my life where when I go out into my shop and want to use a piece of equipment, I don't want to have to work on it for hours to do one task. I used to buy a lot of used equipment and rebuild it . I also have a lot of old stuff laying around .
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

$800 to fix the old stuff and have old stuff and be unsure or $2000 for brand new C&CNC equipment with support, I too would go with the C&CNC setup. You will get your 2k back in no time.
Tonybain42
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Tonybain42 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree, the 800 would probably only be the start, so I've decided to go with the candcnc entire upgrade to new hardware and motors. If anything else had to be replaced, if available would be at more cost. The candcnc equipment is repairable and upgradeable if needed.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tonybain42 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:48 am Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree, the 800 would probably only be the start, so I've decided to go with the candcnc entire upgrade to new hardware and motors. If anything else had to be replaced, if available would be at more cost. The candcnc equipment is repairable and upgradeable if needed.
Which candcnc kit are you getting, and what is the cost?
Thanks,
David
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

This is not a full production table so we recommended our cost effective HS-45 Turnkey solution. https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/home ... nt-bundle/
Its a 4 axis CNC controller (expandable to 5 axis for rotary) with the high speed DTHC5 and the PWMIIA digital pickup. Using the MIC-03 cable, it plugs directly into his Hyperthem CPC connector. All our systems come with a quad processor Mini PC, preloaded with COMMANDCNC, INKSCAPE. SheetCAM, ORCAD, custom POSTS and tool sets for SHEETCAM (for plasma and 2.5D routing) and VECTRIC for toolchange and routing.

Total cost of the HS-45 WITH PC, software and 4 Pre-wired 620 oz-in motors is under $1800.00 including shipping. That gets you everything including phone support, warranty and free updates for software.

The only other expense will-be dealing with the TM "Torch Lifter" with its "smart" motor and tuning that into a conventional Z with a floating torch holder . As an option he can add the FT-02 ohmic sensor to add two levels of touch off.

The HS series uses the same software and supports all of the same accessories as all of our other series. About the only missing feature on this model is the built-in dual AC switched outputs, but those can be added as an option on the HS , That allows you to add plate marker , oxy-fuel and other external loads.
Last edited by tcaudle on Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

You made the right choice going with new. Get it up and running and make parts not machine repairs. With the "extinct" status on the T M the parts you have can now be sold on ebay to help pay for the new stuff.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Yeah, the most valuable thing is that "Smart " motor. No way to tell if its good or not if the THC won't move it. Those things are like dinosaur teeth: scarce and expensive . A now extinct table builder sold all Smart motors and once they started to fail they switched to other servos but it was too late . They gone.
Tonybain42
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Tonybain42 »

tcaudle wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:09 pm This is not a full production table so we recommended our cost effective HS-45 Turnkey solution. https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/home ... nt-bundle/
Its a 4 axis CNC controller (expandable to 5 axis for rotary) with the high speed DTHC5 and the PWMIIA digital pickup. Using the MIC-03 cable, it plugs directly into his Hyperthem CPC connector. All our systems come with a quad processor Mini PC, preloaded with COMMANDCNC, INKSCAPE. SheetCAM, ORCAD, custom POSTS and tool sets for SHEETCAM (for plasma and 2.5D routing) and VECTRIC for toolchange and routing.

Total cost of the HS-45 WITH PC, software and 4 Pre-wired 620 oz-in motors is under $1800.00 including shipping. That gets you everything including phone support, warranty and free updates for software.

The only other expense will-be dealing with the TM "Torch Lifter" with its "smart" motor and tuning that into a conventional Z with a floating torch holder . As an option he can add the FT-02 ohmic sensor to add two levels of touch off.

The HS series uses the same software and supports all of the same accessories as all of our other series. About the only missing feature on this model is the built-in dual AC switched outputs, but those can be added as an option on the HS , That allows you to add plate marker , oxy-fuel and other external loads.
That's exactly what I was planning to go with. I plan on getting that setup that comes with the motors to go ahead and just replace them all, eliminating the torchmate smart motor. I plan on getting the HS-45 bundle with 4 motors, the MIC-03 cable and FT-02 options. If you think there's anything else I would need, please let me know. Thanks!
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

As we discussed you need to address the rigid mount on the torch lifter . Some form or bolt on floating torch holder would be in order . I dot have a TM torch lifter assembly I can reference but I have full CNC machine shop and we offer a complete Super Z II but its probably overkill for this project to stay under budget. The Super Z II DOES have a floating torch holder sub assembly that just might with slight mods fit the old torch lifter if you can mount a 23 stepper whee that Smart motor is.

If you want to work with us get me some detailed pix of the TM torch lifter sub assembly . An even petter option would be to contact me direct email or via the RFS form in the SUPPORT Section and I will make you an offer that will be hard to refuse!

We sold two other retros for TM tables last week but they were different models and they went with the full Super Z II option

Return to “Torchmate Forum”