Need help converting DXF to g-code

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
superpro334a
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Need help converting DXF to g-code

Post by superpro334a »

I have done very well using my new Langmuir table and am able to run already put together g-code files and have done large sheets cuts with great success however, converting DXF files to g-code is not working for me and I am not able to use many available files because I am not able to convert them properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also willing to pay for tutoring on this subject because I enjoy making all kinds of art designs and there are great files available to use.

I have bought fusion360 and sheetcam and just don't know all the steps to make it work. Please consider helping me. Thanks from MICHIGAN
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need help converting DXF to g-code

Post by acourtjester »

I use SheetCam have you look on YouTube for tutorials on SheetCam??
Here is a link to the Google drive you can download some videos I created using SheetCam some time ago.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
superpro334a
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by superpro334a »

Yes but I am not the best learner in that style but I am going to keep trying and go on youtube to locate some tutorials that is a great idea. All help is appreciated for sure. Thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

superpro334a wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:26 pm I have done very well using my new Langmuir table and am able to run already put together g-code files and have done large sheets cuts with great success however, converting DXF files to g-code is not working for me and I am not able to use many available files because I am not able to convert them properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also willing to pay for tutoring on this subject because I enjoy making all kinds of art designs and there are great files available to use.

I have bought fusion360 and sheetcam and just don't know all the steps to make it work. Please consider helping me. Thanks from MICHIGAN
Please post (or PM me) one or more of the dxf files you wish to convert and I will create a step-by-step instructional slide show for you. I will also send you a PM.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

superpro334a - I have responded to your PM.
Thanks,
David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

superpro334a wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:05 pm Yes but I am not the best learner in that style but I am going to keep trying and go on youtube to locate some tutorials that is a great idea. All help is appreciated for sure. Thanks
Add a second screen to the equation via laptop or dual monitors. Load the instructional video on one and your program on the other. Watch a segment on the training video, pause it then repeat the steps on your program. You set the work / learning pace vs a classroom or live feed.

Works great - ask me how I know this 😎
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:33 am
superpro334a wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:05 pm Yes but I am not the best learner in that style but I am going to keep trying and go on youtube to locate some tutorials that is a great idea. All help is appreciated for sure. Thanks
Add a second screen to the equation via laptop or dual monitors. Load the instructional video on one and your program on the other. Watch a segment on the training video, pause it then repeat the steps on your program. You set the work / learning pace vs a classroom or live feed.

Works great - ask me how I know this 😎
Or just use a single monitor and flip back and forth between the instructional video and the program you are learning. I did that when I was learning Fusion 360 from Arnold Rowntree using his instructional video lessons and it worked great. I would watch the video some, pause it, switch to Fusion 360, go back to video, etc.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:32 pm
Or just use a single monitor

David
David,

Those words has a bitter sweet and nasty ring of truth to them.

I recently fried the motherboard on my 12-1/2 y/o main computer and I just got the backup laptop online. The laptop has a defective keyboard so a 2nd auxiliary is now required, the laptops VGA out is defective as well. so my 2 27" wide screen monitors has been replaced by a 15" laptop screen (that is an extras keyboard depth away from prime viewing).. :Sad :Sad

The good news is my 1.5 TB of data is safe and residing on on 3 different HD's. The custom post processor I wrote for SheetCam did an excellent job of hiding itself but it is accounted for and works just fine / just a whole lot slower... :HaHa :HaHa

One thing great about the tech world is what was 3K a decade ago can be bought for in the $500 range today in the minicomputer form factor.

Morale of the story: Back up your data on several devices located in separate places..

Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Steve - I'm still running my Gateway pc I purchased brand new around 1998. I think it originally came with Window 95 - which I later upgraded to Window 98 and currently running Windows 2000 on that pc. The original motherboard is still working fine. I'm probably on my 4th or 5th hard drive (mechanical) and I have several brand new backup hard drives ready with the operating system and all programs pre-installed. I have replaced the fan a few years back. I use it mainly for older programs I use - AutoCad 14, MasterCam 9, etc. These programs won't run on anything newer than Windows XP.

My other PCs - one Windows XP, three Windows 7, and three Windows 10. Some are in the office, and some out in the shop. I assembled my Windows 7 PCs from scratch at a cost of probably $1000 each. The last three Windows 10 PCs I bought refurbished on Ebay - HP brand and they all work fine. I wouldn't spend the money any more to buy or build something new - the refurbished ones work fine for my purposes.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

20241002_005252_resized.jpg
20241002_005311_resized.jpg
20241002_005410_resized.jpg
20241002_005448_resized.jpg
20241002_005732_resized.jpg
20241002_005757_resized.jpg
20241002_005804_resized.jpg
20241002_005909_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Good god David, that Gateway is as big as a file cabinet! Pretty amazing it is still working, that's awesome, I love stretching as much life out of things as I can also.
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Here is my desk anchor:

FE-6 II.jpg
FE-6 I.jpg

I need some salsa to go with the fried chips:

FE-6 III.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Langmuir Crossfire Forum”