Comments for or against QCAD/CAM?

General software related questions should be posted here.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Comments for or against QCAD/CAM?

Post by adbuch »

CWPlasma wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:38 pm I use Qcad almost every day, it works great for what I need to do with it, which is mostly parts, and less art. It does work great for modifying art drawings too though. It was very easy to learn compared to others I've tried.
CWPlasma- that's great to hear! I like it also - it reminds me very much of the older versions of AutoCad - nice and simple to use. My only gripe is with the QCad trim tool - for me it sometimes gives unexpected results - so not as intuitive as the trim tool in some of the other programs I use.

What kind of projects are you working on with QCad? Perhaps share a few photos.

Thanks,
David
CWPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CWPlasma »

Here is a few examples.
Attachments
20231205_165417.jpg
20240205_170615.jpg
20240318_154949.jpg
20240701_111643.jpg
20240711_082220.jpg
20240726_153315.jpg
20240817_133207.jpg
20240817_160423.jpg
20240817_161541.jpg
20240820_165504.jpg
CWPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CWPlasma »

The artistic stuff I download images, is inkscape to vectorize them, and then modify in qcad to make them what I want.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CWPlasma wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:27 pm The artistic stuff I download images, is inkscape to vectorize them, and then modify in qcad to make them what I want.
Very nice!! You do some pretty heavy duty stuff, in addition to the smaller plasma art projects. I was following that fire pit thread where you had calculated the bend angle for the sides. Would you mind sharing how you did it - perhaps with a drawing? I tried to calculate it myself, but was not coming up with the correct angle.

Thanks,
David
CWPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CWPlasma »

I will, but it will probably be a couple days before I can sit down and do that.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CWPlasma wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:05 pm I will, but it will probably be a couple days before I can sit down and do that.
:Like :Like :Like

Thanks,
David
CWPlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CWPlasma »

The heavier stuff is for the shop I work at, and the smaller and artistic are things I make on my own time. Qcad is about perfect for shop work for us, and I find it easier to edit clipart drawings and such in Qcad than inkscape anymore, for me.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CWPlasma wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:15 pm The heavier stuff is for the shop I work at, and the smaller and artistic are things I make on my own time. Qcad is about perfect for shop work for us, and I find it easier to edit clipart drawings and such in Qcad than inkscape anymore, for me.
CWPlasma - that's interesting that you are editing the clipart with QCad now instead of Inkscape. QCad does let you drag individual nodes around - so I can see how that may be useful for "fine tuning" art type drawings.

By the way - I did take another look at the bend angle calculation for that hex fire pit - and this is what I came up with. I will be interested to see how your method compares. My result was pretty close to your 52 degrees.

Thanks,
David
fire pit side bend angle calculation.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AJ - did you ever order your Design Edge software? If so, how do you like it so far?
Thanks,
David
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:35 pm AJ - a while ago you posted a question in the Inkscape section about a file with many disconnected path segments - Eagle Tattered Flag dxf shared file.

viewtopic.php?p=237069#p237069

At the time we suggested using LightBurn to link/join this file. I also seem to remember that you had another file later on where LightBurn would not completely link/join the file.

Design Edge will link/join problematic files like these with a single command. Select all, type "J" to link/join, and file is fixed.

David

free file 1.jpg
free file 2.jpg
free file 3.jpg
free file 4.jpg
free file 5.jpg
Dave I broke down and purchased Design edge Advanced when it was all said and done it coast me $5,000 which seems much but worth it to me. I now have to learn it now ugh. I don't see were I can open SVG files. I purchased the Advanced version so I could import export SVG and EPS files. I downloaded the software from the owners page because I cant load a CD on my laptop. So I'm not 100% I got the full version because it wont open let me open SVGs and it seems I don't have all the functionality.
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
5x10 Star Lab plasma, scribe, pipe cutter
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Slip roll 3/16th capacity
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:35 pm AJ - a while ago you posted a question in the Inkscape section about a file with many disconnected path segments - Eagle Tattered Flag dxf shared file.

viewtopic.php?p=237069#p237069

At the time we suggested using LightBurn to link/join this file. I also seem to remember that you had another file later on where LightBurn would not completely link/join the file.

Design Edge will link/join problematic files like these with a single command. Select all, type "J" to link/join, and file is fixed.

David

free file 1.jpg
free file 2.jpg
free file 3.jpg
free file 4.jpg
free file 5.jpg
Dave I broke down and purchased Design edge Advanced when it was all said and done it coast me $5,000 which seems much but worth it to me. I now have to learn it now ugh. I don't see were I can open SVG files. I purchased the Advanced version so I could import export SVG and EPS files. I downloaded the software from the owners page because I cant load a CD on my laptop. So I'm not 100% I got the full version because it wont open let me open SVGs and it seems I don't have all the functionality.
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
5x10 Star Lab plasma, scribe, pipe cutter
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Slip roll 3/16th capacity
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user