Tangent snaps for drawing bracket

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Tangent snaps for drawing bracket

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:42 pm Hope all is well. I was looking at your "new guy" post where you drew up the simple bracket in inkscape.
You noted that nodes will need to be edited. I am in the process of drawing up something similar for my bull/push bar project. See my rough drawing. I am not good at attaching lines to a circle tangentally, I usually just draw a circle and do a union but there is always that little transition and it is not smooth. I am going to try and draw it up. Hopefully my node attaching skills will work. I also have trouble drawing a simple line with the bezier tool. Everytime I release the mouse to press enter the line is not straight.
TJ - Here are some screen shots showing the method I used. Hold down the Ctrl key while you are drawing your bezier line to keep it orthogonal. Use your Tangent snap to draw the line from the bottom to snap it to the circle. Then edit your circle (before Object to Path) using the round handles to make it a partial circle with the ends close to the ends of the sides. Zoom in to get it close (your snaps are off for this). Then select the partial circle and "Path, Object to Path" and in node edit mode joint the ends of the partial circle to the sides using the "Join selected nodes" tool.

David
tj 0.jpg
tj 0.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 867 times
tj 0.jpg
tj 0.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 867 times
tj 1.jpg
tj 2.jpg
tj 3.jpg
tj 4.jpg
tj 4.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 868 times
tj 4.jpg
tj 4.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 868 times
tj 5.jpg
tj 6.jpg
tj 7.jpg
tj 8.jpg
adbuch

Re: Tangent snaps for drawing bracket

Post by adbuch »

tj 9.jpg
tj 10.jpg
tj 11.jpg
tj 12.jpg
tj 13.jpg
tj 14.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tj 15.jpg
tj 16.jpg
tj 17.jpg
tj 18.jpg
tj 19.jpg
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Thanks David,
I am going to play with this and try and follow along. I have to remember that I need to weld in 10ga strips between two of these plates to make sort of a tube. Then weld this whole assembly to some straight tube so my sizing will be critical. Thanks so much for your help. I will post when I get there.
Thanks again.
T.J.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Is the arm 2"x3" rectangular? It would seem a lot easier to just use a length of 2"x3" rectangular tubing, drill the holes through where needed, and cut the two side flanges to allow the sides to follow the contour around the narrow tip.

Joe
ARM.jpg
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I like Fusion for mechanical designs like this. Fusion would make this SOOOO easy where as Corel, Inkscape, etc require creative thinking to make it happen.
TJS

Post by TJS »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:55 am Is the arm 2"x3" rectangular? It would seem a lot easier to just use a length of 2"x3" rectangular tubing, drill the holes through where needed, and cut the two side flanges to allow the sides to follow the contour around the narrow tip.

Joe

ARM.jpg
Yes Joe,
I thought about that.
I am going to lay this portion back a few degrees toward the grille of the truck.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I can think of several ways to accomplish this with Fusion 360. Here are two of them.
Fusion 1.jpg
Fusion 2.jpg
Fusion 3.jpg
I don't know that either of these methods is necessarily easier than with Inkscape, CorelDraw, or some of the other programs. TJ was looking at an Inksacpe example I showed at another post and asked specifically about doing it using Inkscape node editing. There are other ways to do it with Inkscape that are quicker - here is one of them.
Inkscape 1.jpg
This is also pretty quick to do with CorelDraw.
CorelDraw weld tool.jpg
It is also very easy to do with the eMachineShop desktop version. I am using one of the older free versions.
eMS 1.jpg
I think it all depends on one's proficiency level with a particular program (or programs). Also - many folks are used to using a certain cad drawing program that they may have been using for many years, and may not have any experience using some of the newer 3D type programs.

David
Last edited by adbuch on Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:01 am Thanks David,
I am going to play with this and try and follow along. I have to remember that I need to weld in 10ga strips between two of these plates to make sort of a tube. Then weld this whole assembly to some straight tube so my sizing will be critical. Thanks so much for your help. I will post when I get there.
Thanks again.
T.J.
TJ - you are quite welcome! Whether you cut the profiles from the rectangular tube (as has been suggested) or cut individual pieces and weld together - you will still need to draw up the profile before you can cut it. i will look forward to seeing how your finished project turns out.

David

Return to “Inkscape”