Fire Pit/BBQ Grille Edit

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Fire Pit/BBQ Grille Edit

Post by adbuch »

The OP recently purchased this Etsy file and was trying to extend the overall length by 10 inches by modifying the dxf file using Design Edge. Here is one way to do it. I am showing my method to "stretch" the top of the grille, and hopefully the OP will be able to use a similar technique to lengthen the sides to match. Both top and sides are to be increased in length by 10 inches.

David

pcttt.jpg
Etsy listing.
bbq etsy.jpg
The goal showing before/after dimensions.
bbq grille stretched 10 inches.jpg

My edit process.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
Last edited by adbuch on Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adbuch

Re: Fire Pit/BBQ Grille Edit

Post by adbuch »

8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
bbq grille stretched 10 inches.jpg
snaps.jpg
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Very clever, thanks adbuch. All food for the mind here!
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DieselFumes wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:53 am Very clever, thanks adbuch. All food for the mind here!
Thanks DieselFumes!! This is pretty quick and easy to do using Design Edge. I think it would probably take me much longer to accomplish using Inkscape or CorelDraw. Maybe I'll give it a try with one of those other programs and report back my result.

David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

After seeing how you accomplished this in designedge (which I do not have) I believe I could accomplish the end result in Corel pretty quickly as well by breaking the outer profile at the proper nodes, moving it a specified distance, re-connecting the outer profile with added lines, and creating the additional slots required. It really got me thinking and experimenting with some new tools in Corel :Like
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DieselFumes wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:43 am After seeing how you accomplished this in designedge (which I do not have) I believe I could accomplish the end result in Corel pretty quickly as well by breaking the outer profile at the proper nodes, moving it a specified distance, re-connecting the outer profile with added lines, and creating the additional slots required. It really got me thinking and experimenting with some new tools in Corel :Like
DieselFumes - I am pretty much a novice with CorelDraw, so having to learn as I go. With the help of "Google search" on things like the mirror tool - I was able to achieve success. Many of the CorelDraw tools are more involved with more keystrokes than the equivalent Design Edge tools. For example - the Design Edge trim tool is quick and painless - no need to draw a box around the part and pull up the Shapes, Trim menu. Just type "X" and start clicking on path segments to trim/delete them - similar to the Fusion 360 trim tool.

I do like the CorelDraw dimension tool - this makes it much easier to check dimensions than with Inkscape. So that's a big plus!

But I am still having some fun with CorelDraw - sort of like learning a second language.

David
coreldraw.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DieselFumes wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:43 am After seeing how you accomplished this in designedge (which I do not have) I believe I could accomplish the end result in Corel pretty quickly as well by breaking the outer profile at the proper nodes, moving it a specified distance, re-connecting the outer profile with added lines, and creating the additional slots required. It really got me thinking and experimenting with some new tools in Corel :Like
Check your PM inbox.
Thanks,
David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

PM received, thanks David, messaged you back. Love learning new tips from others here!
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DieselFunes - check your inbox again. I have replied to your last message.
Thanks,
David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Just checked, thanks again David, I did pick up a couple tips from this. Much appreciated :Like
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DieselFumes - I just replied to your latest PM. Please check your inbox. By the way, there is a setting you can select so that you will receive email notifications for private messages.

David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

adbuch wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:37 am DieselFumes - I just replied to your latest PM. Please check your inbox. By the way, there is a setting you can select so that you will receive email notifications for private messages.

David
Just replied to you. I had a look at the notifications and modified it so I get an email now. It's actually pretty impressive what you can do when you dig into your profile settings and start using bookmarks etc. Thanks again!
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DieselFumes wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:59 am
adbuch wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:37 am DieselFumes - I just replied to your latest PM. Please check your inbox. By the way, there is a setting you can select so that you will receive email notifications for private messages.

David
Just replied to you. I had a look at the notifications and modified it so I get an email now. It's actually pretty impressive what you can do when you dig into your profile settings and start using bookmarks etc. Thanks again!
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”