Some interesting pictures of mixing brand consumables.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Some interesting pictures of mixing brand consumables.

Post by Deezl Smoke »

So I had a small 14ga A36 cut to do. Couple hundred inches is all. Needed to install a new electrode, and figured 14ga, I'll just use an amazon purchased electrode. I did use a new Hypertherm 45amp nozzle, and I don't remember if it is a Hpertherm shield or not. But anyway, had to change out to 85 amp for a .375" cut and thought the pattern on the 45 was interesting. Don't know what to make of it. The cut went good enough. The electrode obviously wears quick and not centered well, but the arc trails are interesting.
sept 2024 3.jpg
sept 2024 2.jpg
sept 2024 1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

05Duramax
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Some interesting pictures of mixing brand consumables.

Post by 05Duramax »

That is interesting and a surprising amount of electrode wear but I suppose for knock off what can you expect.

Really odd the stain on the outside of the shield. Almost looks like moisture or oil was spit out the end and sprayed back up onto the shield off the plate.

In my case this type of staining on the electrode and inside the nozzle was contaminated air supply. Even after putting in a robust filter system in it took a long time before the 100' plus of air line was clear of crap and my consumables and cut quality cleaned up. Also made a big improvement on consumable life.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

05Duramax wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:55 am That is interesting and a surprising amount of electrode wear but I suppose for knock off what can you expect.

Really odd the stain on the outside of the shield. Almost looks like moisture or oil was spit out the end and sprayed back up onto the shield off the plate.

In my case this type of staining on the electrode and inside the nozzle was contaminated air supply. Even after putting in a robust filter system in it took a long time before the 100' plus of air line was clear of crap and my consumables and cut quality cleaned up. Also made a big improvement on consumable life.
I too have several filtration points and a refrigerated air dryer on my system. I have an idea that the spring on the electrode is not up to spec being a knockoff as well as likely the machining at the nozzle interface, allows the electrode to lift just a bit too far. ? I think the scars on the shield, nozzle and electrode are from stray arc patterns being as the torch is only .060" off the plate surface. I'm just guessing as I don't know enough about it. Just thought it was interesting. I do not seem to have that issue using proper Hypertherm components.
05Duramax
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 05Duramax »

I am not pro either but I always thought that when you see carbon deposits it is from oil or contamination in the air supply urning up and leaving those stains but you would see that with the hypertherm consumables also. I wonder if the aftermarket consumables have some oil residue in them from the manufacturing process of the spring or machining of the copper? I have been told you should handle the electrode like a halogen light bulb and get no oil or contamination on it.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”