Adding An Air Scribe to The DIY Table

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
Pyrotech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Adding An Air Scribe to The DIY Table

Post by Pyrotech »

I recently picked up parts to start working on adding an air scribe to the table I built. Right now it's in the very early stages of being built.

Most all the parts I was able to pick up fairly cheap by keeping an eye on ebay.
20240903_160712.jpg
20240903_160655.jpg
picked these up based on reading what others here have said about them
20240905_191838.jpg
20240905_191846.jpg
test printing a mount for the air scribe.
20240908_182225.jpg
initial testing of the air slide

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Adding An Air Scribe to The DIY Table

Post by adbuch »

So far - so good! I bought an similar air scribe (CP brand) on Ebay a few years ago, and built a mount to fit my Plasmacam table that works quite nicely. I most recently adapted it to my one of my AvidCNC router tables. Keep us posted on your project.

David
20230918_044231_resized.jpg
20230918_044242_resized.jpg
20230918_044328_resized.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I also built on for a table, as you can see with David's and mine was the same, no drive assembly for up/down movements. You really don't need one as if to strong the scribe will not work. One thing I will say it is very noisy to use, get you some ear muffs when you do use it. :HaHa :HaHa
I found the Easy Scribe type is much easier to use and cheaper too. :Like :Like
attached are some of the prototypes I tried.
newer scribe mount.JPG
pneumatic scribe assembly.JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Nice builds guys! I had one of those at one point but the noise is horrendous and I found on larger scribe operations it would "coin" the material and make the part bow like it was being stretched. I use an EasySCriber now and all I hear is the cool robotic sound of my motors. Doesn't scribe deep like the pneumatic but works perfect for what I am marking.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Pyrotech wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:18 pm I recently picked up parts to start working on adding an air scribe to the table I built. Right now it's in the very early stages of being built.

Most all the parts I was able to pick up fairly cheap by keeping an eye on ebay.

20240903_160712.jpg

20240903_160655.jpg

picked these up based on reading what others here have said about them

20240905_191838.jpg

20240905_191846.jpg

test printing a mount for the air scribe.

20240908_182225.jpg

initial testing of the air slide

Is that a precision regulator? That's what I ended up going to because I couldn't control the down pressure accurately. The precision ones leak a tiny bit of air all the time, but react very quickly to pressure spikes like uneven material will give you.
Not sure what machine you have, but I recommend setting it up differently that the two videos posted show. I didn't like the inaccurate delay that using the air cylinder to raise the scribe for rapids gave me. I set mine up so the cylinder fires at the start of the operation and stays on the whole time. Then I use the Z motor to raise and lower the scribe just as when cutting. This gives more predictable timing since the gantry won't move until the Z reaches its coordinates. It eliminated the deep dots at the start caused by the scribe slamming into the surface, and missed areas if the delay is set too short.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Pyrotech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Pyrotech »

it is.. I found 3 SMC IR2000-02BG Precision Regulators for a good price so I picked them up

the air slide is the SMC Air Slide Cylinder Table MXS20-100 20mm Bore 100mm Stroke

The scribe will be mounted to the Z axis, So lifting the Z like you mention will be an option
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:41 pm
Is that a precision regulator? That's what I ended up going to because I couldn't control the down pressure accurately. The precision ones leak a tiny bit of air all the time, but react very quickly to pressure spikes like uneven material will give you.
Not sure what machine you have, but I recommend setting it up differently that the two videos posted show. I didn't like the inaccurate delay that using the air cylinder to raise the scribe for rapids gave me. I set mine up so the cylinder fires at the start of the operation and stays on the whole time. Then I use the Z motor to raise and lower the scribe just as when cutting. This gives more predictable timing since the gantry won't move until the Z reaches its coordinates. It eliminated the deep dots at the start caused by the scribe slamming into the surface, and missed areas if the delay is set too short.
Djreiswig gives some great useful information here on his setup. If I were going to build one using the air cylinder method, I would most definitely try to use his setup. Both of my air scribes do make that "deep dot" at the start point. I have reduced the air pressure to the scribe and that has helped somewhat, but not eliminated the problem.

David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Pyrotech wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:57 pm it is.. I found 3 SMC IR2000-02BG Precision Regulators for a good price so I picked them up

the air slide is the SMC Air Slide Cylinder Table MXS20-100 20mm Bore 100mm Stroke

The scribe will be mounted to the Z axis, So lifting the Z like you mention will be an option
I believe that's that same air slide I have. Another thing I did to mine was add a latch to the top of the air slide. If you look around, it's an option on those. I bought a second one , but it was a shorter stroke, so I robbed the latch. Basically it's a small pin that holds the slide up when the extend air is off so it stays put when you shut your air supply off. I did this because I tried to rip it off a couple of times when I jogged my table before I hooked the air supply up.
The precision regulators are awesome. I can rapidly lift up on my slide and the down pressure gauge barely twitches. Before it would raise the pressure significantly. I find a couple of psi was the difference between scribing perfectly and stopping and digging in.
You should only need a single solenoid valve. Just hook the slide and scribe together. They can both turn on at the same time. Then use the Z to lift. I put my extend pressure regulator on the end of my gantry so it's easy to adjust and close to the slide so it reacts quicker.
I don't use mine much, but it's handy. I also mounted a floating pen holder to my slide, so I can use my table as a plotter. That's another cool option you might want to add.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
Pyrotech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Pyrotech »

made a little progress today

20240922_162214.jpg

Still have a decent amount of travel in the Z axis both up and down with the air slide extended

20240922_162309.jpg

Along with plenty of room for the torch with the slide retracted

Going to have to adjust the limit switch, just not comfortable with how close this is AND having to have the Z axis at the right "safe height" in order to gain an extra inch or so of travel. So I end up with a 48"x 50" cutting area instead of 50"x50" you can also see the crude zip tie slide lock :HaHa

20240922_172221.jpg

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Looks good so far.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You are moving right along! Keep up the good work.
David
Pyrotech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Pyrotech »

I hooked everything up to air and did some "bench testing". I need to order a power supply to run the solenoids. and get everything wired into the control cabinet. I will also need to edit the post processor to add in the offsets for the scribe, and then start running some actual engraving tests.

but in the spirit of 90% done is the new 100% done (if you watch superfast matt on youtube then you know what I mean) i will probably run a small engraving test using the bench power supply and triggering it all manually
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Looking good and thanks for the reminder I need to get mine up and running.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Nice job. If you let me know what post you are using, I can try and help you set it up to have the Z motor raise & lower the scribe and have it stay on all the time.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:54 am So far - so good! I bought an similar air scribe (CP brand) on Ebay a few years ago, and built a mount to fit my Plasmacam table that works quite nicely. I most recently adapted it to my one of my AvidCNC router tables. Keep us posted on your project.

David

20230918_044231_resized.jpg
20230918_044242_resized.jpg
20230918_044328_resized.jpg
David,
Nice mount. What is that horizontal spring for.
T.J.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

djreiswig wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:44 pm Nice job. If you let me know what post you are using, I can try and help you set it up to have the Z motor raise & lower the scribe and have it stay on all the time.
Do you use a 5/2 pneumatic solenoid valve for the up/down and a standard O/C solenoid valve to run the scribe? Adjust pressure as necessary with the regulators? That would only require 2 electrical signals to operate.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I think that's correct. I have them wired separately so I can trigger the slide without the scribe running so I can use a pen to draw. The pen holder is mounted beside the scribe.
When scribing,they are triggered together at the beginning of the operation and stay on until the scribing operation is done. The moves up for the rapids. I don't have to adjust for the slide delay. The x,y move automatically waits until the Z is down.
I initially had it set up to raise the slide between scribes, but wasn't happy with the inconsistent delay because of the low down pressure required to keep the scribe from digging. That's why I switched to moving the Z. It works pretty much like the torch when cutting.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”