Howdy!

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Howdy!

Post by jlasater »

I just picked up a Torchmate 4400 at a school auction for what I consider to be an incredible price. It's complete except for the missing software dongle. I'll be posting questions about software options in the regular forum.

While I've been around machining and metal fab for years, I've only recently got into the CNC world starting with a vinyl cutting machine. I look forward to the projects I can accomplish with this machine.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Howdy!

Post by Joe Jones »

Welcome to the mad, mad, mad, mad world of cnc plasma cutting!

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, with vinyl cutter background you have the basic info concerning the operations. Now it just learning the different functions of Plasma cutting metals. With the large member base on PS your questions will be answered. You can use the search function in the upper right for a good look around for projects or info on what questions you may want answered.
have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

jlasater wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:43 pm I just picked up a Torchmate 4400 at a school auction for what I consider to be an incredible price. It's complete except for the missing software dongle. I'll be posting questions about software options in the regular forum.

While I've been around machining and metal fab for years, I've only recently got into the CNC world starting with a vinyl cutting machine. I look forward to the projects I can accomplish with this machine.
Welcome to the forum jlastater! Hopefully your new table is in working order except for the dongle. I expect that you will need to purchase a new copy of the TMCad software (with accompanying "dongle") in order to run your table. I purchased the TMCad software license a few years ago at a cost of around $300. This is the basic version but should do what you need to run your table. It is also possible that you may be able to use something like Inkscape/SheetCam to generate the required g-code for your table. This may be a less expensive option.

If you want to see what the latest TMCad version looks like (and try it out) - you can download the educational version free from the TM site. It will do everything on the drawing end, but will only save/export in the edu format. Here is the link.

https://torchmate.com/training-header/t ... -downloads
1.jpg
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

David
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jlasater »

I booted the machine up for the first time last night and started looking around the VMD system. After checking online, I was able to get the machine to attempt to move the gantry. I ended up having to do a lot of cleaning on the linear rails and cassettes, and now it's moving smooth as glass. There was a lot of "gunk" to clean out. I seriously doubt anyone had greased the thing at its previous home. That being said, I really think the machine probably only has a few hours of actual use. The slats are all "nicked", but not severely melted. I hope to pick up new bulk power cable (#6 conductor!) and get the FlexCut 80 unit connected up. Mine came with the optional plate marker accessory as well.

Fun!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

jlasater wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:22 pm I booted the machine up for the first time last night and started looking around the VMD system. After checking online, I was able to get the machine to attempt to move the gantry. I ended up having to do a lot of cleaning on the linear rails and cassettes, and now it's moving smooth as glass. There was a lot of "gunk" to clean out. I seriously doubt anyone had greased the thing at its previous home. That being said, I really think the machine probably only has a few hours of actual use. The slats are all "nicked", but not severely melted. I hope to pick up new bulk power cable (#6 conductor!) and get the FlexCut 80 unit connected up. Mine came with the optional plate marker accessory as well.

Fun!
Good for you! Were you simply jogging the table around using the controller?
David
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jlasater »

Yes, using the VMD program (the program that auto-starts when Windows loads on the machine. I think that's the name, I'm not at the machine currently).

So it it just the Torchmate CAD program that requires the licensing dongle? Everything else will work without it? If so, I'll be looking at CAD options before buying the replacement dongle to see if I like any of the other options more.
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jlasater »

As a follow-up, I'm having a lot of fun figuring out how to use the plasma table an create things, and a BIG part of that is thanks to the folks on this board and how helpful they are. Thank you from all of us newbies!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

jlasater wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:22 pm As a follow-up, I'm having a lot of fun figuring out how to use the plasma table an create things, and a BIG part of that is thanks to the folks on this board and how helpful they are. Thank you from all of us newbies!
That's great to hear and I am sure these guys who helped you out will be happy to read your follow-up. This site helped me out ton when I started.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”