SheetCAM tool definitions

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

SheetCAM tool definitions

Post by jlasater »

Is there a repository of SheetCAM tool definitions somewhere, or do you just create your own? Looking through the three different torch tip sizes, there are a LOT of entries to do for my Lincoln Electric FlexCut 80. Or...do you just pick 8 or 10 entries and leave it at that?

Can you share examples about how you label the entries as well? I'm trying to start off with good practices so I don't have to change a bunch of workflow midstream.
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: SheetCAM tool definitions

Post by weldguy »

I would create them as you need them, no point in creating tool entries for setups you may never use. I find most shops generally cut the same thickness' of materials, some never cut gauge metal, some only cut gauge metal, so just create what you need for what you cut.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Since the tool list is sorted by tool number, I find it handy to have the thicknesses in order. So, I'd enter everything at once. You can go to the tool table and change the settings there also. Might be easier than through the windows.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

As stated above you may just create them as you go, attached is a screen shot of mine. But I also use the table of other functions, like routing, pen marking, and vinyl cutting. For Plasma I have different thickness of metal and amp setting tools, these change for different metal too, like stainless and aluminum.
sheetcam toollist.JPG
sheetcam toollist.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
sheetcam toollist.JPG
sheetcam toollist.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jlasater »

Are the T numbers just for sorting purposes in your setup, acourtjester?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

The T numbers are tool numbers applied by SheetCam. That's how it identifies them. You can add whatever text name you want. The number is also sometimes used by the post processor.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The tool number also shows in the G-code, so later you can look at the G-code and see what perimeter were used. But understand if someone sends you a G-code the T number may be a different setup then yours.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sheetcamCS2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sheetcamCS2 »

There is also the means of editing and creating tools (manually) via a spreadsheet (such as Excel) in .csv format. This provides for use of copy & paste of an entire row, functions, etc. Just make sure you save the file as a .csv and using 'values' not functions. To prime the .csv that you will edit, simply create at least one tool for each ToolType that you intend to edit. Use SC File-'Import/Export toolset' menu and follow the prompts.

Alternatively and not related to above, for PMX45xp tools, there is a PlasmaTool plugin that pulls values from a predefined database of files presumably built with data directly from the mfg cut charts. The data is organized by material in a hierarchical tree, and you select choices to create one tool at a time as I recall. Only PMX45xp values exist, Sheetcam has no plans to make more databases for other plasma models or mfgs, I believe the original was done simply as an example. That said, the PlasmaTool plugin is documented via the implementing macro in .lua lang, and the database files are man readable as well, thus any mfg or their rep can build their own database from the PMX45xp example.

Return to “SheetCam”