SheetCAM, TM4400, and plate marker

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

SheetCAM, TM4400, and plate marker

Post by jlasater »

My TorchMate 4400 machine came with the optional plate marker attachment. I found a document about how to add it to the Torchmate CAD/CAM software but I'm not using that, and the instructions were pretty complicated. I'm using QCAD and SheetCAM. Still getting familiarized with SheetCAM...does the plate marker attachment need a completely different post-processor selected when it's used, or just a different tool selected? I see Plate marker as one of the types of tools available. If I'm going to cut a part and engrave it at the same time, do I use layers for that, with one layer for each operation?
jlasater
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: SheetCAM, TM4400, and plate marker

Post by jlasater »

Found this vid:

...thinking out loud, I'm thinking the Torchmate VMD2 post-processor that is working properly for regular plasma cutting should have the g-code options (definitions, whatever it is) to also handle the optional plate marker. So...looking at that guys video, I take the part from CAD into SheetCAM, click various parts and seperate them onto layers, set up tools (plasma and separately plate marker), associate each layer with the correct tool, and the resulting file should run properly.

I took the plate marker off the machine while troubleshooting various motion functions, but would like to get it usable for making score marks for folds and whatnot.

He separated the inside cuts and outside cuts into separate layers. Is that necessary? I understand why that's required for different tool types, but I would think you could keep all the cuts on the same layer/operation.

Ok...I think the two layers are necessary for how the CAM software compensates for the cut (internal or external)...figuring it out as I go.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: SheetCAM, TM4400, and plate marker

Post by djreiswig »

The same post can be used for both functions, but it needs the specific code for the marker tool.
You shouldn't need to separate the inside and outside cuts. SheetCam should apply the correct kerf offset to each one. The only reason you would want to is if you want to apply different parameters to each, like slowing the speed or applying different cut rules or something.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “SheetCam”