Torchmate 2 4x4 Table losing axis control mid cut

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
wagwelds
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torchmate 2 4x4 Table losing axis control mid cut

Post by wagwelds »

Hi there, I currently have an older Torchmate 2 4x4 table with a pro series stepper motor, THC and a hypertherm powermax1000. The table intermittently fails to run one or multiple axis during a cut destroying the product. The software continues thinking it’s still cutting but the motors will stop (usually just x axis but sometimes y or even the thc). Sometimes I can reboot the signal generator and it will start working again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it though. Torchmate tech support thinks its mechanical slippage (which I’ve confirmed its not) or something wrong with the signal generator (which they don’t support). Curious if you guys have come across this problem and if there’s a fix.

I’ve reached out to Flashcut and they quoted me $8K for the whole retrofit kit which is more than the table is worth. 2 weeks ago I requested for a quote for just a new signal generator control box but crickets. If I was able to get Flashcut to get me a new control box would I need their software or will the Torchmate cut software work? Any other options for just control box replacements?

See pics for my set up. Thank you.
IMG_5032.jpg
IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate 2 4x4 Table losing axis control mid cut

Post by adbuch »

I would check all cables and cable connectors first to make sure there are no problems there. I am not familiar with your setup, but I assume it has some sort of stepper motor drives - perhaps test those as well. Maybe CandCNC or Sparks Robotics for upgrade to controller? Tom Caudle may have more useful information to share.

David
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Since it is happening randomly on random motors I would lean towards an issue with the motors stalling out. Stepper motors are prone to this and will stall out easier the faster they are spinning. The higher the rpm of a stepper, the more torque it loses. I realize it likely worked fine at those speeds before but if there is anything robbing torque from the motors this can happen. Looking at your pics things are not kept very clean so I would start by getting a wire brush and cleaning all your gear racks and then blowing them off with air. Rub a scotchbrite pad over all surfaces that bearings roll on and blow off with air. A dry lube spray for your rack and pinion would help once the cleaning is complete. I would then leave the table turned off so you can freely move each axis thorough its full travel by hand and feel for any tight of rough spots and repair if necessary, and then turn everything on and run it again doing a dry run of a 4x4 square so your using all the travel. Start slow and then if everything is running ok start ramping your speed up during the dry runs. Let us know what you find.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Weldguy gives some great advise here! As he mentions - table drive mechanisms binding up (gear racks, gears, etc.) could most definitely cause your stepper motors to become overloaded and stall or miss steps. Let us know how your table responds after you have cleaned and lubed everything.

I would be interested to see some photos of your actual table, racks, gears, etc. so we can better understand what you are dealing with.

David
wagwelds
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wagwelds »

Thanks guys for the advice. I’m currently cleaning it, see pics of the table as asked. The control box had a lot of metal dust in it so I blew all that out and it is now clean. Too much metal dust probably could make some problems with the electronics inside the box. Cleaned up all associated gears and rollers on the cassette. Found the front to back gear, the one furthest away from the motor, on the left side wasn’t snug into the fixed teeth creating some slop (this axis probably gives me the least amount of problems. So no smoking gun at this point but some possible sources of trouble. Once I get the rest of the water table cleaned up ill run it through its axis’ electronically. Manually it seems to be smooth.
thumbnail_IMG_5149.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That's great, let us know how it runs after your service on the machine.

Return to “Torchmate Forum”