design spark mechanical

General software related questions should be posted here.
4130metalworks
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

design spark mechanical

Post by 4130metalworks »

hi group
I am currently and have done so for the last 10 years used emachineshop as my cad software. This is really starting to slow me down and limit my designs.
After pouring through many different options I have found design spark mechanical, this seems to be quite user friendly and looks like a smooth transition over. Are there any users of dsm on here, and how do you like it? The only downside so far, I found is dsm doesn't support sheet metal folding for when I get that advanced

Thanks for any input
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: design spark mechanical

Post by adbuch »

I had it installed on my pc, tried it out, and uninstalled it. Fusion 360 will pretty much all that DesignSpark Mechanical will do and more, is easy to use, very well documented, and does have the sheet metal option.

Solid Edge has both 2D and 3D versions and is free as well. I tried it previously, did not really like it - and much prefer Fusion 360. Mo does use it and likes it and perhaps will chime in.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

4130metalworks wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:04 am hi group
I am currently and have done so for the last 10 years used emachineshop as my cad software. This is really starting to slow me down and limit my designs.
After pouring through many different options I have found design spark mechanical, this seems to be quite user friendly and looks like a smooth transition over. Are there any users of dsm on here, and how do you like it? The only downside so far, I found is dsm doesn't support sheet metal folding for when I get that advanced

Thanks for any input
By the way - a member recently asked about an alternative program to use so that he could cut out some letters of a specific font for making a sign. He had been using the emachineshop program. Here is the link to that discussion.

David

viewtopic.php?p=238775&hilit=emachineshop#p238775
9.jpg
4130metalworks

Post by 4130metalworks »

Thanks david, i have tried fusion a few times and really didn’t like the controls or operation. I found dsm to work very similar to the way i think. I’ll check out that link
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

4130metalworks wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:29 pm Thanks david, i have tried fusion a few times and really didn’t like the controls or operation. I found dsm to work very similar to the way i think. I’ll check out that link
So what you are looking for is a simple 2D drawing program, sort of like the old AutoCad14 that I still use on my old Windows 2000 pc for certain tasks. If you like the designspark mechanical program, then I would stick with it and learn it. I have seen some Youtube tutorial videos on it, so they should be of some help to you to reduce your learning curve.

I personally use many different programs so am used to working with different "controls" and menus. I have Bricscad on several of my computers and it works very similar to AutoCad. These days I mainly use Design Edge for most of my "mechanical parts", but often combine it with CorelDraw, Inkscape, and a few others as the need arises.

Good luck!!

David
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Never even heard of DSM but will check it out. I am with David on Fusion for mechanical parts but if it doesn't jive with you then I get that.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

For 2D i started with QCAD, then found SolidEdge 2D which is free and loved it... then transitioned to SolidEdge community edition which is also free and does 3D and sheetmetal.
I tried F360 but it didnt click, so i stuck with SE.

What sort of parts are you making?
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
4130metalworks

Post by 4130metalworks »

I did see solid edge has a free community version, thats good to know it has a sheet metal module. I will give it a try before committing to dsm

Generally rokcrler i make automotive parts, like suspension bits and chassis reinforcements and occasionally equipment around the shop. Currently trying to build myself a press brake

It would be handy to do 3d cad as well, hopefully I finish my cnc mill conversion soon and been able to assemble multiple drawn parts in cad is going to save time and money
DesignSpark Guy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by DesignSpark Guy »

DesignSpark Mechanical can do sheet metal folding.

There are work arounds in the free version, or the Creator version (Paid version, about US$19 a month) has more capability - https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/e ... techniques.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DesignSpark Guy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:01 am DesignSpark Mechanical can do sheet metal folding.

There are work arounds in the free version, or the Creator version (Paid version, about US$19 a month) has more capability - https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/e ... techniques.
Please show us how to do the "work arounds" with the free version.
Thanks,
David
4130metalworks

Post by 4130metalworks »

David the issue with the free dsm is you can't import or export dxf files, the subscription version is cheap enough though
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

4130metalworks wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:43 pm David the issue with the free dsm is you can't import or export dxf files, the subscription version is cheap enough though
If you can't import/export vector files, then what good is it? At over $200/year for the paid subscription version, unless you have money to burn, I would recommend you steer clear and go with Solid Edge. As Mo has said, "...SolidEdge community edition which is also free and does 3D and sheetmetal."

David

Return to “General Discussion”