Font Question

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Font Question

Post by adbuch »

I received this question from a fellow member seeking help with a particular script font he wants to use.
Sent: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:47 am
Recipient: adbuch
First and foremost, I want to thank you for all the help and guidance you provide to this forum. You just don't find that much in the world anymore, highly appreciated.

I use Emachine shop to make most my designs and the designs are pretty simple designs. A friend of mine asked me if i could cut his last name in individual letters for a sign. Simple enough, however, he wants it in LUCIDA HANDWRITING.

Emachine does not offer this option on its fonts.
1. Can simply type it out on a word document and copy paste it to the machine emachine?
2. If not, do you know any other options

I will not be around the table until Sunday, so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Thank you again
AMF - you can't simply type your text into your word document and copy and paste it to the emachine program (I tried it). My suggestion would be to use Inkscape (free download) and then type your text using the partucular Lucida Handwriting font you want. Then convert from text to vector format, scale to your desired size, and save as dxf for cutting. Here are some screen shots showing how I would to it. Let us know if you have any questions.

David
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
adbuch

Re: Font Question

Post by adbuch »

You can import your dxf file from Inkscape into the emachineshop program for checking or further editing.
9.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also - if you do not already have this font - here is the link for the free download.
https://font.download/search/lucida+handwriting

David
10.jpg
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Thanks David, very helpful tutorial for me. Converting the font to vector was the ingredient I have been missing!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cuttinparts wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:20 am Thanks David, very helpful tutorial for me. Converting the font to vector was the ingredient I have been missing!
Cuttinparts - happy to help!! Yes - if you don't convert the fonts to vector, then they don't appear in your cut file.
David

Return to “Inkscape”