Drafting a part by taking a picture of it

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Drafting a part by taking a picture of it

Post by Fastyankee »

I more than oftan have to draft a prt to fit an existing part. This can take a lot of time with to do some times.
I'm in the process of building an over head crane in my shop to handle the steel and car frames I build. I want to make simple saddle to fit the frofile of the I beam mainly the bottom flange so it slips on the end and I can than weld it on the beam. I thought maybe I could take a picture of the end of the beam and trace it. Or go the tape measure and angle finder out and do the old school drafting. I have traced parts out on paper and scanned it in and traced it with some success. Your thoughts?
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
5x10 Star Lab plasma, scribe, pipe cutter
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Slip roll 3/16th capacity
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Drafting a part by taking a picture of it

Post by Joe Jones »

Beam trolleys are already available. What do you need that is different from what is already designed?

Joe

https://www.northerntool.com/search?s=i-beam+trolley
Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
Dirtmotor
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

I would think you could do it , It might be ard to get the scale right , can you trace actual beam flange ?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:07 pm I more than oftan have to draft a prt to fit an existing part. This can take a lot of time with to do some times.
I'm in the process of building an over head crane in my shop to handle the steel and car frames I build. I want to make simple saddle to fit the frofile of the I beam mainly the bottom flange so it slips on the end and I can than weld it on the beam. I thought maybe I could take a picture of the end of the beam and trace it. Or go the tape measure and angle finder out and do the old school drafting. I have traced parts out on paper and scanned it in and traced it with some success. Your thoughts?
AJ - you should be able to take a picture looking straight on from about 3 feet away and use that for either an auto trace or manual trace scaled to the correct size. For testing your file you might consider using a sharpie pen holder attached to your torch and draw it onto a piece of paper or cardboard. Then you can cut out your drawn template to see how closely it matches to your actual beam and make adjustments accordingly.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dirtmotor wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:16 am I would think you could do it , It might be ard to get the scale right , can you trace actual beam flange ?
This is a good idea as well. Just put a piece of cardboard up to the end of the beam and trace around the beam with a pencil or sharpie. Then cut out your template (and optionally paint it black) and take a photo for auto trace. I have done the same and it works well.

Below are several examples I have documented to help show you how I have done it in the past.

David

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnePLkzmKUyesqXy8
1.jpg
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HyrwMz8KQd9fdAdg8
2.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:07 pm I more than oftan have to draft a prt to fit an existing part. This can take a lot of time with to do some times.
I have done it the "old school" way in the past as well using tape measure, angle finder, etc.

David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Have you checked mcmaster for the dxf?
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/i-beams/
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

There are some things to be aware of if you go the photo way. First the lens and focal length should be normal and not distort the imge. Working too close and some lenses Wil take the picture but you get distortion . Better to take the photo far away ans either use a zoom lens or enlarge it in photo software.

The higher the contrast the easier it is to trace. I have been known to spray the object black and place it against white background. Where it gets fun is on 3D stuff, or assemblies .

If you can do a three view drawing of something (top/front / side usually you can break it down into flat parts or you can do a 3D drawing (or at least an isometric view.

the "plane "of the came (where the image falls inside) and the plane of the object have be exactly 90 degrees (perpendicular) in both directions. That may not be as simple as it sounds .Even a few degs off and you will have a skewed shoe. Once again the further you are away the less it matters .

Sometimes a mix of old school and the photo method work best. Hand draw a sketch and take measurements . use the photo to hand trace and try to work in closed objects . use you hand drawing and notes to "adjust t; the final drawing paying closer attention to areas that have to be accurate of fit other parts.

If I build stuff out of conventional square tube, sheets and angle, I make those parts up to size and change the lenghts

and then do a 3 view drawing. That usually is enough to precut the pieces and weld them up into the correct shape.
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

I like the cardboard cad idea were I can spray it black and take a picture of it. Once the shape is scanned in scaling it usually not a big issue. I have to mount two beam trolleys together so the beam can’t cock when rolling it along the bridge beams. I have also traced parts on to paper and than scanned it inn the computer and that has worked well. Time is money so anything to save time is money saved.

Thanks for the input
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Should be able to find all of the dimensions for your beam online and simply draw it out. That would be the most accurate in my opinion.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:43 pm I like the cardboard cad idea were I can spray it black and take a picture of it. Once the shape is scanned in scaling it usually not a big issue. I have to mount two beam trolleys together so the beam can’t cock when rolling it along the bridge beams. I have also traced parts on to paper and than scanned it inn the computer and that has worked well. Time is money so anything to save time is money saved.

Thanks for the input
AJ - I think you are on the right track with your cardboard template, particularly if you can trace it directly off of the end of the beam. Then cut and paint black as you say, etc. Let us know how you make out, and perhaps take some photos to document your process.
Thanks,
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Fastyankee wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:43 pm I have to mount two beam trolleys together so the beam can’t cock when rolling it along the bridge beams.
I am trying to picture this condition that you are worried about. What can "cock" by rolling it along a bottom flange of an I-Beam?

I am left-handed, so I naturally think in pictures. A couple of photos or drawings would help immensely.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

If you try to roll a beam along two parallel beams on a single fulcrum point it has the tendency to pivot and get cocked if you use two beam Dollie’s you make the fulcrum point wider so it doesn’t want to pivot .
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Fastyankee wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:42 am If you try to roll a beam along two parallel beams on a single fulcrum point it has the tendency to pivot and get cocked if you use two beam Dollie’s you make the fulcrum point wider so it doesn’t want to pivot .
Ah! I understand your concerns now.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am reminded of how PlasmaCam keeps their gantry in line. They have a drive shaft that spans the two rails, and a gear rack in each rail. The driveshaft prevents one end of the gantry tube from advancing faster than the other end.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:23 am I am reminded of how PlasmaCam keeps their gantry in line. They have a drive shaft that spans the two rails, and a gear rack in each rail. The driveshaft prevents one end of the gantry tube from advancing faster than the other end.

Joe
But there are rack and pinion gears on both sides that aid in keeping both sides true, in this case that would not be an option. I would likley do some follower bearings spaced a decent distance apart from the center of the bean trolley to help prevent either side from getting ahead of the other.
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Fastyankee wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:42 am If you try to roll a beam along two parallel beams on a single fulcrum point it has the tendency to pivot and get cocked if you use two beam Dollie’s you make the fulcrum point wider so it doesn’t want to pivot .
The gussets and additional length needed for them can be eliminated with a double girder crane that will increase your lifting capacities. Have you considered that design?

Return to “Inkscape”