Machine help

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
kenny
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Machine help

Post by kenny »

I don’t know if this is the correct place. I use a Ez cut pro, flash cut o.s. machine at a welding shop I rent space with. We purchased this machine years ago and now the original manufacturer is out of business and new company does not honor warranty or tech support. It’s been nothing but problems from the first day. Here is the current problem.
Won't move, won't go to home. Disconnected all power from unit for 30 minutes, re connected, tried again, same thing.
I am going to try a different servo configuration that is listed in the options.
The machine was supposed to be a servo drive, but they had it set up as stepper drive. That was corrected to servo the first month I had it. There are four different servo options to choose from. I always wondered if it was the correct one. I can't tell if the motors are stepper or servo.

Any suggestions on what to try next would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Machine help

Post by tcaudle »

servos have an encoder on the back . Steppers typically have 4 wires . Some MAY have 8 but the final connection to the controller will be 4 wires . The servos would have two heavy wires and at least 4 smaller wires for the encoder. I am not sure what EZCut used but I think the controllers and electronics were form Multi-Cut. Last one I saw was all stepper.

I can tell you that one controller will NOT run either type. Two totally different technologies. Different drivers .
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

If you can get a photo of the motors back and side view we might can advise better
kenny
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kenny »

These are photos we can get to, thanks
Resized_20240731_075244.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Resized_20240731_075300.jpeg
Resized_20240731_075244.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

You have a servo motor with top mounted encoder.
David
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

And a gearhead (appears to be 30:1)

So you choices are just the servo and if none of those work you are going to have to get motor part numbers and details to manually set them. If its not the Profile that is the problem your options start to diminish.
elmendalerenda
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by elmendalerenda »

Try rechecking your servo settings to ensure they're correct for the type of servos you have. Verify all wiring connections for any loose or damaged wires. To confirm if your motors are servos or steppers, look for labels on the motors or check your machine's controller settings. If the problem persists, consider using a diagnostic tool if available.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

elmendalerenda wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:41 am Try rechecking your servo settings to ensure they're correct for the type of servos you have. Verify all wiring connections for any loose or damaged wires. To confirm if your motors are servos or steppers, look for labels on the motors or check your machine's controller settings. If the problem persists, consider using a diagnostic tool if available.
It has been confirmed that his motors are servos with encoders. Good advise to check wiring and settings.
David
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Usually a wiring issue effects one motor and causes either no motion on that one or it runs away or faults.

If none of the motors will move check to make sure the drivers are getting power (Main DC power) . They should have some form of power light on the drivers.

Most servos will initialize and "lock" (its actually a stabilized condition) when you power up. Deepening in the driver they should resist you trying to turn them . On some system the drivers have an ENABLE signal that if not there will cause the motors to freewheel.

Those are probably conventional Servo drivers and you should be able to get a number off them . Even if the motors have no markings perhaps the encoders do or the drivers do . That will go a long way in helping troubleshoot the issue

EZCut got their controllers from MultiCAM in Dallas TX. Don''t know if they will help you or give you any clues but if its from them its also their software I know they were neither cheap nor simple . MultCAM made high end routers for years and like a lot of other sellers decided to get into Plasma systems. While the two processes appear to be similar they are a lot of differences and often the transition does not end well.

Servo systems are great until they quit working. Lots more moving parts and things to understand and take into account. It really gets interesting when you have to try and troubleshoot a system that has no support and sparse information. I have seen servo manuals that are over 100 pages JUST on the Servo driver. Some are analogue in nature (like all the Bridgeport older models) and takes another level of understanding on how those puppies work

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”