Alternative to water or down draft

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
4130metalworks
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Alternative to water or down draft

Post by 4130metalworks »

Thought i would show my water mist system. Originally I built the table with a fan for downdraft which didn’t work very well, the fan wasn’t strong enough and when there were lots of gaps from cutting there was next to no suction. Instead of rebuilding and converting to a water table or upgrading to a larger fan i added a water mist sprayer.
This is a very simple system of water pump, mist nozzle used for milling machine and an air solenoid.
My pump is a little oversized so i added a controlled bleed off, which is just a t and valve returning water back into the drum.
Sheetcam path rules are used to turn on and off the pump/ air solenoid everytime the plasma arcs

This has resulted in drastically reduced smoke and dust with the added benefit of cooling the steel. Also there is a reduction of dross on stainless cuts

Also on rapids between cuts i am raising the torch a little higher than normal to allow the post flow to dry the plasma nozzle

Hopefully this helps someone else out

6BA32071-48BE-4679-8481-C15BE165B8A3.jpeg
38098652-523D-41E8-941B-B777DD24D21F.jpeg
88FEAD15-F2EA-42A6-A58A-71D19162FDE2.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Alternative to water or down draft

Post by weldguy »

That's super cool! What a great idea, thanks for posting your setup.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”