LDR Plasma Pipe Cutting Machine

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

LDR Plasma Pipe Cutting Machine

Post by V8mfg »

Good day all,

I'm seeking anyone else that bought LDR's Pipe/Tube cutting Plasma machine.

We are having trouble with angle profiles when cutting recently however we have been successful several times in the past.

Unfortunately LDR Motion Systems is no longer in business (sold 3 years ago and then burnt down last year)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: LDR Plasma Pipe Cutting Machine

Post by tcaudle »

Can you expand on the machine ? Is it a MACH based controller? What pipe cutting software?
They used several types over the years/
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

We purchased 3 years ago so it was probably the latest configuration.

TCS FabriMaster (TCS Tubemaster) Modeler/Flattening/GCode Software Version 1.3.3.7

Mach3 CNC Controller Software Version R3.043.062

We have the Water Feature add-on
No auto load feature
We have updated the TCS Software "C Axis"
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

We just discovered the issue is with the batch code...we ran single part program and it works fine.

For clarity we are cutting 2"x 3" x 1/4" thk angle carbon steel (creating a box frame...45 miters on 15" long and 20" long pieces)

The orientation of the angle when loaded is crucial to the software

Batch Run: When we cut in batch it cuts the first miter then moves to last miter and then rotates (this is the problem) the rotation is 90deg so the 3" side is no longer upright and it tries to cut as if the 3" side is up...when in fact it's the 2" side so the torch misses the edge to start cutting.

Single Part: If we run single part program then after the first miter cut the part, doesn't rotate, it just moves down and starts the cut on the 3" side where it left off.

Unfortunately we have to babysit this machine now and not operate small tasks while we wait to load another stick...however it's far easier than the cold saw :)
rickyrater
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rickyrater »

We have one and don't experience a problem with batches on angles, but I couldn't explain why!

Do you have any contact info on the former LDR owners? Have they stopped supporting their machines altogether? We used to be able to email Dan Helfter if I needed a part number but his number/email doesn't work anymore.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Post a video of the machine in action!

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

rickyrater wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:50 am We have one and don't experience a problem with batches on angles, but I couldn't explain why!

Do you have any contact info on the former LDR owners? Have they stopped supporting their machines altogether? We used to be able to email Dan Helfter if I needed a part number but his number/email doesn't work anymore.
The sold out to a uy named Andrew and he struggled some with support and new systems. Then the Fire, and that wiped out not only Andrew but Dan who owned the historic barn, They have nothing: no hardware , no software, no documents , no engineering notes.....just memories.
Unfortunately THAT pipe cutting solution is not ours and Dan implemented that himself. If it were SheetCAm and Rotary Plasma plug-in with our PipeFit design software we could help but we have no knowledge of that package and MACH3 has been obsolete since 2014 and is unsupported. Yes, I know you can still buy it and there are still lots of installs but none of my support team knows much about it.

Your only ave new is the rotary cutting software you listed if they are still in business. Its the software and the POST that is causing you the problems and they are the only ones that can give you any answers.
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

To clarify we discovered the exact problem!

There is a setting that is required whenever this situation occurs. The picture attached shows the settings screen with the "Do Not Wait for Arc" setting. It doesn't wait to confirm an arc is made and just runs the tool path regardless, which makes since, except for the error in positioning of the tool path in the first place, however no feature is out of spec.

PS: sorry Joe can't upload a video on this forum :/
Do Not Wait for Arc.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Just be aware it messes with the timing of when motion starts and when the DTHC tunr son if its being used. Everything starts as soon as the torch fires no matter ow long the pierce delay is .

<ay not make a lot of difference if the pipe is thinner wall.

The arc ok is derived from the plasma itself.
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

Appreciate the feedback!

We have been pretty happy with this machine, however there are limitations (regardless of what Dan says LOL - inside joke) ...but seriously we have made a couple of additions to the machine to make life easier and safer.

1) We applied 6"x6"x1/4" thick closed cell foam adhesive backed rubber pad to the rear chuck back stop. We have the water option so we just drilled a 5/16" hole in the middle of it to allow the water tube to pass thru. This helps reduce backwash dripping a lot. Reason is Safety - Reduces amount of water on the floor for slips and falls and electrical hazard in our case.

2) We also added a drip pan under the rear chuck carriage...it bolts on top of the linear bearing blocks and drains out the side into a 1 gal bucket we hang on lip of drip pan with a hook...once the bucket is getting full we dump it back into the water basin. Reason is Safety - Reduces amount of water on the floor for slips and falls and electrical hazard in our case.

3) We fabricated an extension chute on top of the short drop bin sloped sides they provided with the water upgrade. It catches 99% of the water and acts as a slide lip for longer pieces that reach outside the short drop bin. Reason is Safety - Reduces amount of water on the floor for slips and falls and electrical hazard in our case. FYI if parts are longer you have to man handle a 5 gallon bucket at each hole feature passed the drop bin chute...we've only dealt with that situation a handful of times.

again we have fixed a dozen things regarding service, safety and convivence issues, If anyone has questions about operation or servicing this machine feel free to ask, we might already have the solution!
kn612
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kn612 »

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see pictures of your setup. Mainly the follower. Is it easily adjustable for different sized stock?
elmendalerenda
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by elmendalerenda »

I had similar issues. It turned out to be a calibration problem with the angle settings. Double-check your machine’s alignment and calibration, and make sure all your parameters are set correctly.
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

elmendalerenda - We double checked all those settings based on all the pictures I originally took of the screens from initial setup and training.

kn612 - It's hard to see the black foam adhesive backed closed cell foam pad on the rear chuck backing plate but yes it accommodates up to 6"x6" profiles well. We have to replace occasionally but I'd imagine that's based on the usage and heavy tubing as well as the quality of the end touching the pad. We try to always use factory ends on the backing plate pad and if not we clean up the cut ends. We try centering the tube as best we can loading it. We also give a little pressure to try and make a seal on the rear chuck plate while the chuck closes to ensure minimal leaks.

Pictures: Pardon the mess, we haven't "Purdy the Pig" in a few weeks.
PXL_20240724_185446242.MP.jpg
PXL_20240724_185454225.MP.jpg
PXL_20240724_185509310.MP.jpg
PXL_20240724_185513462.MP.jpg
PXL_20240724_191705343.MP.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

PlasmaDon
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

With your machine up and running again, can you pull a copy of all your settings/parameters ?
Seeing how the barn burnt down, meaning no support at all.
pitbumpers
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by pitbumpers »

With in this thread, does anyone have a contact for Dan Helfter? He was great I bought one of his plasma tables 10 years ago, still work like it did the first day I bought it.
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

pitbumpers - No contact info besides LDR email and that is no longer in service. He did not have a phone number on any of the emails I have.

PlasmaDon - I can send any info anyone would like. Just send me an email at srobbins@v8mfg.com
pitbumpers
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by pitbumpers »

Thank you.. I need a drawing to fix a part on my table. Instead of drawing it up myself..
V8mfg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by V8mfg »

pitbumpers wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:35 am Thank you.. I need a drawing to fix a part on my table. Instead of drawing it up myself..

We no longer have our LDR plasma table. I don't have any fabrication drawings from Dan, all of that apparently was lost in the fire.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”