Just simple brackets, but it gets me pretty excited!

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
sincityairfx
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Just simple brackets, but it gets me pretty excited!

Post by sincityairfx »

Need a bracket? Cut a bracket!

Just love finally having a plasma table in the shop, and I am starting to get faster at it.

This would have taken me much longer and looked homemade doing it the old way. So pumped!

Travis Deeter
Custom Painter
Car Builder
Metal Artist
ImageImageImageImage
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Just simple brackets, but it gets me pretty excited!

Post by TJS »

Yes. You will find a lot of projects you do weather it be a paying customer or for yourself, you incorporate CNC plasma cutting into it. I just made some patch panels for my rotting above ground pool and also cut out a skimmer plate out of stainless as the bottom row of screws in the wall were rotted.
It is so far holding water.
sincityairfx
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sincityairfx »

TJS wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:40 am Yes. You will find a lot of projects you do weather it be a paying customer or for yourself, you incorporate CNC plasma cutting into it. I just made some patch panels for my rotting above ground pool and also cut out a skimmer plate out of stainless as the bottom row of screws in the wall were rotted.
It's true, you really have no idea all the cool things you can use it for until you have one!!
Travis Deeter
Custom Painter
Car Builder
Metal Artist
ImageImageImageImage
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

sincityairfx wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:36 am Need a bracket? Cut a bracket!

Just love finally having a plasma table in the shop, and I am starting to get faster at it.

This would have taken me much longer and looked homemade doing it the old way. So pumped!

Nice video demo showing a great looking finished bracket. I will often use a da sander with #80 to give a nice finish to bare metal parts.
David
Dirtmotor
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

I agree ! Having a table In the shop opens a whole new dimension of posibilities .
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That's exactly the reason I originally bought my cnc plasma table was to cut brackets. Very handy, and much quicker than my old way using a band saw, drills, grinders, etc. And lots of fun as well!!

David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

sincityairfx wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:53 am
TJS wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:40 am Yes. You will find a lot of projects you do weather it be a paying customer or for yourself, you incorporate CNC plasma cutting into it. I just made some patch panels for my rotting above ground pool and also cut out a skimmer plate out of stainless as the bottom row of screws in the wall were rotted.
It's true, you really have no idea all the cool things you can use it for until you have one!!
And things don't have to be square or have 90 degree angles. It's easier to cut things with curves and fillet corners with a table than by hand. Slotted holes are lots easier and look better than when I did them by hand.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have said this before, allow your mind to wonder weather it for your business or building a new tool for the shop or a monogram for a friend. Answer is draw it up and load the metal on the table and go for it. As a hobbyist on steroids I cannot tell you how many projects my table has helped to complete. Belt grinders. CNC table parts, wall hanger, plaques, for money and pleasure. Plasma cutting, wood routing, metal scribing, it you have one use it. :Like :Like :Like :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Mtw fdu

Post by Mtw fdu »

Ditto!!! to all the above.

Work smarter...not harder :Like :Like :Like :Yay :Yay :Yay

Mtw fdu.
Camcutcnc 4 x 4 plasma cutter with UC 100 Motion Controller
Powermax 45 with Machine Torch
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

The ability to make a curved slot like in a alternator bracket is amazing!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:27 am The ability to make a curved slot like in a alternator bracket is amazing!
In the old days, I'd use my old Burke Millrite with a rotary and mill a curved slot. Not any more.
David
20240720_053622_resized.jpg
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:39 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:27 am The ability to make a curved slot like in a alternator bracket is amazing!
In the old days, I'd use my old Burke Millrite with a rotary and mill a curved slot. Not any more.
David

The ol' synchronized hand movement on the milling table trick / been there done that myself.

From the plaz table to the press brake in less than 20ft will only be outdone by adding a powder coating set up to the equation.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:52 pm
adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:39 am
David

The ol' synchronized hand movement on the milling table trick / been there done that myself.

From the plaz table to the press brake in less than 20ft will only be outdone by adding a powder coating set up to the equation.
Steve - I thought you had a powder coating setup.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:47 am Steve - I thought you had a powder coating setup.

David
David,

Not at this point, I have a solar powered paint curing box out back, It faces south and is painted black. I get 160* out of it on a 90* day which helps paint dry faster. I bought an aluminum 2'x'2'x5' smoker at auction I will convert it into a small oven then I want to do an oven big enough to handle 6x12 projects from the table.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:23 pm
adbuch wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:47 am Steve - I thought you had a powder coating setup.

David
David,

Not at this point, I have a solar powered paint curing box out back, It faces south and is painted black. I get 160* out of it on a 90* day which helps paint dry faster. I bought an aluminum 2'x'2'x5' smoker at auction I will convert it into a small oven then I want to do an oven big enough to handle 6x12 projects from the table.
Steve - I guess I had always assumed that your colorful table and equipment with all the different colors was powder coated. I personally don't own a powder coat oven, and absolutely nothing wrong with conventional painting. In any case, all of your stuff looks great to me.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:53 pm
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:23 pm

David
David,

Steve - I guess I had always assumed that your colorful table and equipment with all the different colors was powder coated. I personally don't own a powder coat oven, and absolutely nothing wrong with conventional painting. In any case, all of your stuff looks great to me.

David

David,

Thanks for the compliment!

Like everything else conventional painting supplies have gone through the roof, a gall of Rusto paint is $65 - $70 / gal. Thinner $20 / gal. To that you have to prime allow dry time / sand / paint / allow to dry before putting part into service . On a must have job I will put the Mr heater in front of the painting box and force cure the parts at 300* for an hr, this rapidly accelerates it but is time consummating and the parts still stick together after assembly. :HaHa :HaHa

Powder-coating is a quicker longer lasting solution (probably cheaper when you figure in all of the variables). I have a smaller blast cabinet and a 100 lb pot sand blast pot, I just need to get the ovens built. The never ending to do list.

Steve
Dirtmotor

Post by Dirtmotor »

I jumped in to powder coating a year or two ago and like the plasma table it has opened up a ton of new posibilities .
I did the rattle can thing for a long time and do not miss it at all , I still use my stretched and opened up double oven ,its small footprint works in my shop . I dont want to give up the space for a big oven .
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Most of the parts I have painted previously are with spray gun using catalyzed acrylic enamel or urethanes. Many small parts using detail gun. I come from a classic automotive restoration background (and some hot rods). I have used commercial powder coaters in the past for some of the larger parts. I did experiment with a HF powder coat gun about 20 years ago (still have the gun) and was using an oven designed for curing epoxy, so it was really slow to heat up. It did give a nice finish on the 2 alternator brackets I experimented with. Most of my other "metal art" stuff has been spray can. I was thinking about buying or building a power coat oven a few years ago- mainly to do some Norton motorcycle frame - but never followed thru and the shop is also pretty full at this point. But I can see how it is a nice fast solution for getting parts out the door in short order.

Robert has mentioned some home built ovens that he uses in his business for commercial use. For the kind of work he does - it makes sense. I am more of a "hobby guy" when it comes to cnc plasma cut parts. Tom has shown some very nice parts he has made and coated with his diy oven - the results always look great. So lots of different ways to go here.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With Powder coating the same thing comes into play, shop space. Constructing an oven is not that complicated or expensive. I used 50 Gal drums for the inside shape and size covered with normal fiberglass insulation. The heating elements are from a stove and the electronics are from eBay. Plugged into a 220 Volt outlet in the shop where I plug in my welders. Mine is on wheels for storage but a larger one will require floor space, this is the problem for many. Also is the area for the application of the powder on the parts there can be overspray to deal with. I have used catalyzed acrylic enamel on the tables I build and that is a good alternative to powder coating.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

Great little video. No doubt my table is the most useful piece of equipment that's ever been in my shop. Cool looking setup by the way :Like
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”