Hypermax 65 losing air pressure causing to lose spark

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
BentRightFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypermax 65 losing air pressure causing to lose spark

Post by BentRightFab »

Goodmorning or afternoon, evening depending where you are.

I run a Hypermax 65 and it has been a workhorse for years and we maintain it so it will continue to do so for many more. We run a HVAC fitting fab shop and after our last Dessicant bead change out and filter clean we were losing air pressure causing the torch to go out during cut. We would then have to open the air valve to our compressor to get it to kick in and raise pressure to working pressure and then we can finish our sheet.(we have a 48x96 inch table) and then repeat for next sheet. This only went on for about 2 days and then it was back to normal for a few weeks. Now the last 2 weeks the issue is back and I cannot figure out why? I have changed tips and electrodes, I'm not getting any error codes on my Hypermax. I've hit a wall. So please if anyone has had this happen or knows anything to help us out please do! Becasue we are a very busy little shop and this is really causing a slow down in our daily production.

Sincerly

Plasmaman Mike
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypermax 65 losing air pressure causing to lose spark

Post by weldguy »

Hey Mike

What pressure does your compressor turn on at? Sounds like you need to adjust the pressure switch to get it to turn on before the pressure gets to low.

Sounds like it could be a plugged filter. I know many desiccant dryers have cintered bronze filters to prevent desiccant dust from entering the air supply. Those filters plug easily and they may need to be replaced.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypermax 65 losing air pressure causing to lose spark

Post by adbuch »

Mike - weldguy offers some great suggestions here! Additionally - I would suggest installing an inline air pressure gauge directly at the air entrance port of your plasma cutter. You want to be able to maintain a good solid 100 psi at plasma cutter at all times while air is flowing thru the torch.

David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”